Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mike Lull P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ostrzoskrzydly, Jan 31, 2004.

1. ostrzoskrzydly

ostrzoskrzydly

Jul 1, 2003
    Has anyone played it ? They have been out there for some time already, but I've never heard about anyone trying or getting one.

2. ostrzoskrzydly

ostrzoskrzydly

Jul 1, 2003
    come on !
    someone must've at least tried it...

3. They are really fine. Mike makes some of the nicest custom basses out there, and his P-bass works really well.

At the Euphonic Audio booth at NAMM there was a very sweet Lull P4.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

There was also a Sadowsky PJ5 and a prototype MTD 535 P-type bass. It was fun comparing these incredible basses, all in many ways better than anything turned out by Fender since Leo left the company. :cool:

Aloha,

Jonathan

4. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    So how did they compare?

JB

5. I played a Mike lull P and it was great. they are extreemly well made like all mike lull stuff and the Lindy Fralin pickup they use really nails the classic 60's p bass tone.

6. I'm not able to give a perfectly objective acccount because..

[​IMG] I fell in love with the MTD and it is now mine!

The Lull with the Fralins was very similar to the Lakland Bob Glaub I used to play in a calypso band. I think the Lull was a bit warmer than the Glaub, but it's hard to really hear at NAMM.

All of these have more sustain and less thump than the '76 P I had, and none of the bad issues of that CBS era P.

The Sadowsky and MTD played like the fantastic basses they are. The Sadowsky with the preamp and J pickup was an awesome instrument, and would be the choice if one wanted a single bass to do it all, and price was not an issue. I don't really like a PJ setup. I had a beautiful Sadowsky burgundy mist (pimpmobile) vintage pj-4, and somehow I used to jam my fingers on the J pickup when I got excited, and so I sold it and stuck with the Glaub till I switched to 5ers, and I've been looking for a great 5er P for a while.

I like the simple purity and texture of a passive P, and the pickups Mike had Bill Bartolini vintage wind for his prototype sound just like old Fender split pickups on 4 strings, and the B is pretty darn close. It plays as well as any MTD, which means like butter, and the alder slab body gives it a great deep punch. I think I'll have a lot of fun with it, and it has a workmanlike vibe and the price was right, so if it get's banged around it will only add more character.

Mike made this to take to Nashville NAMM, and it drew a lot of interest (Mike was trying to make the perfect country music bass) but surprisingly not a lot of orders.

Aloha,

Jonathan

7. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Me too. I'm looking hard for a P4 with maple fret board. I almost bought a 78, 79, or 2001 Fender bass last week but I wasn't too confident about the quality. It'll take 8 weeks to order a Lull and 6 months to order a Lakland. This used one is available... :meh:

What do I need to know to get a good P-Bass?

8. Is it Alder or Ash? I definitely prefer alder, which has a deeper tone whereas the ash ones are more aggressive.

That Lull looks great. If the price is right and it's alder and not too heavy for you to play long sets and the neck has a comfortable shape for your hand and you are confident that it is free of any damage issues, I would go for it.

There are some great Fenders out there, but there are many that are mediocre or miserable. You know that a Lull (or a USA Lakland Glaub) started off as an exceptional instrument, and if it's been taken care of it's only gotten better.

BTW, there's a really nice USA Bob Glaub PJ in natural ash on the Bass Northwest site, and a CAR Glaub Demo model with a rosewood board on the Bass Central site, but if the Lull is Alder and everything else checks out it would be my choice.

Good luck, & let us know how it works out.

Aloha,

Jonathan

9. Jon, how does it's sound compare, spefically the A string. Not only does the pickup sit closer to the neck than on most P basses, both pups cover the A.

10. I've been trying to figure out if the pickup is really closer to the neck than normal on a P-bass. It looks that way a bit in photos, but considering it's a 35" scale I think it's pretty close. I'll get out a ruler and measure when I get a chance. I don't have a Precision around any more to physically compare.

It sounds like a P-bass should, warm and punchy & kinda juicy (?) but not boomy. The strings are balanced and I can't find any dead spots. Mike says the pickups are a 2 and a 3 pole, but in covers that look identical. Bill Bartolini and Mike worked together on the pickup design, and they are unique. There is zero hum.

What sold me is that the bass just works great. I intend to put jazz flats on it, though it's surprisingly warm with the MTD SS set.

Aloha,

Jonathan

11. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    It looks like Alder.