1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mike Lull P4 vs Fender 57 P-Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kristlik, Feb 25, 2008.

1. kristlik

kristlik Guest

Nov 22, 2006
    Lincoln, NE
    How does the feel, playability, sound, fit and finish of a Mike Lull P4 compare to a Fender '57 P-Bass?

2. kristlik

kristlik Guest

Nov 22, 2006
    Lincoln, NE
    bump

3. mcdonap

mcdonap

Sep 25, 2001
    I've owned both. Feel, fit, and finish definitely go to the Lull. The Lull P neck is the most comfortable neck I've ever played. The width and profile are perfect for my hand. Of course, that's a personal thing - you may not like it so much. I know some people prefer the vintage radius of the Fender, but I prefer the Lull. The radius makes the Lull even more comfortable for me to play - again, maybe not for you. Sound-wise, I'd also give the edge to the Lull. (If for no other reason than it's already completely shielded...) In all honesty, though, the Fender also sounds fantastic. So that is subjective too. I just really like the Fralins Mike Lull uses.

Now, looks-wise, I prefer the Fender. I like the 20 fret neck, and I like the Fender headstock. Realistically, those two preferences disappear when I'm playing the bass. I wouldn't let either of those things sway my decision very much.

I'm happy with either/both basses. If I had to choose one, I'd take the Lull.

I know it's not always possible to do so, but the best way to know is always for YOU to try both...

Pat

4. Ron Plichta

Ron Plichta Supporting Member

May 19, 2007
    Fairfax, VA
    Ditto on the Lull. It feels better and I think has better fit and finish. I own a Lull P/J5 and the neck is really spectacular.

5. kristlik

kristlik Guest

Nov 22, 2006
    Lincoln, NE
    Mcdonap,

Thanks for the feed back.

This really started from playing a Fender 50s P-Bass, and I just fell in love with the shallow C neck, with the wide vintage 1 3/4" nut.

Looking around, I found that Mike Lull offers the other extras I would also like on a P-Bass: Hipshot ultralites, Hipshot adjustable bridge, Fralin PUPs, Graphite reinforced neck and superior fit, finish and materials seems to be the topping on the cake.

I've noticed that Mike Lull now also offers the Ultra Vintage P bass, with a 7.25" radius fingerboard, which would feel the same as the Fender Vintage (or 50s).

I wish there was a place to try the Lull 10" radius to be able to tell which I like better. I know I like the feel of the Fender Vintage over the Fender Standard, but I'm thinking that it might be more of the factor of the liking the shallow C shape better than the modern C shape of the Standard neck.

One more thing (a small thing) what are the Pickguard options for a Mike Lull--can't find that on their site; have only seen tort, parchment, white pearl & black pearl.

6. mcdonap

mcdonap

Sep 25, 2001
    I'm not sure what the pickguard options are. I've spoken with the folks at Lull a few times on the phone, and they've always been friendly and helpful. I'd just give them a call or send an email.

I think we may have similar neck preferences. I prefer the '57 P neck to the MIA Standard P and I prefer the Lull to both. The Lull is actually fashioned after a '59 P neck with a flatter fingerboard radius. I believe it if my CS '59 P really was true to the original. (That was the best Fender P neck I've ever played.)

Compared to the '50's P I've played, the Lull has the same nut width, but the profile is shallower, and the radius is flatter. I find the 50's to be pretty similar to the '57.

Pat