Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mike Lull P5 Pics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FunkySpoo, Feb 20, 2004.

1. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I think I'm having a major gas attack for a Lull P5.So if you have pics I wanna see um.

2. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    He's what mine looks like.

3. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    man, me likey. A Lot !

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Closeups of the body of mine. The blue is much darker when not under direct sunlight.

5. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Hey Rick,
    They're rare birds, but are killer basses. Stop by Mike's site (www.mikelull.com) for some photos. I'll see if I can get some more photos for you and will either post them here or shoot them to you via e-mail.

6. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Fuzz, sweet bass. Love that quilted blue top.
    JPJ, thanks any pics would be great.
    It's interesting that such a fine bass is so rare. Especially since the "P" bass is so popular

7. Rick,

I agree. Of course, Mike can custom-make a P5 to order, but the majority of the vintage-style basses, including Lull, Sadowsky, Lakland, etc, are Jazz. But from some of the comments and polls here on Talkbass, the P's are VERY popular, perhaps as popular as the J's. This is not represented in overall sales by the manufacturers listed above, however. Maybe the P-bass owners are a more dedicated and vocal bunch and speak up more readily in the forums. Beats me. I've played Jazz-style basses for the past 12-15 years, but recently played a P Bass at a local music store. It brought back memories of my earlier years and has re-kindled my interest in the P-bass sound. I always (incorrectly) assumed that one could produce a P-bass sound with a J-bass, and still have another pickup to spare. T'aint so! The P-sound is unique and is not easily reproducible with a Jazz, at least a Jazz in MY hands. :)

So.....I quickly ordered a PJ from Mike Lull, which should arrive this week (the photo is on my website). Can't wait to get my hands on it. I don't want to mis-use TB by talking about a product that I am selling, so I will leave any further comments about it to PM. HOWEVER.......this is one bass that I won't mind if it DOESN'T sell, if you know what I mean. :hyper:

Randy

8. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Don't mean to hijack the thread. If anyone has had a chance to compare a Sadowsky 5 to the equivanlent Lull 5, I'd love to hear from you via PM.

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I really like that top also. I can't claim credit for the configuration: it was in stock and on sale at Gguitars. But that's a nice thing about the Lull P5's: you can get 'em either very traditional looking like grooveguru's sexy blonde, or more boutiquey like mine.

Like you, I wonder why so few manufacturers offer five string P-clones. Sadowsky and Lakland both offer J-basses with four and five strings, but their P-basses only have four strings. (Yeah I know: you can get a PJ Sadowsky with five strings, but it has a J body so it doesn't cut the mustard with a true P-bass lover). The reason probably is a lack of demand... maybe most P-bass lovers are so traditional they haven't considered using more than four strings.

10. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Here's about the only other photo of a P5 that I could scrounge up. It isn't much, but it's another look for you to mull over.

As for why so few people are making 5-string P-basses, I really don't know. Based on the research I've done, the market for a 5-string P is pretty much a niche market. So much attention has been given to the jazz in recent years that I also think that many builders who might be in a position to make a 5-string P simply haven't focused on it...too busy cranking out jazz clones. HOWEVER, on the other hand, they may look at what Mike and Roger are doing with their basses and don't want to have any part of that competition! :D ;) In my estimation, those are the two guys when it comes to the jazz and P game. :bassist:

11. Steve Whitman

Steve Whitman

Sep 4, 2000
    Dan Lakin (Lakland) sells a lot of 5ers and a lot of P styles (Glaub), but doesn't offer a 5 string Glaub. He says its because he hasn't found a P-style pickup for a fiver that satisfies him - i.e. keeps the true P sound. Mike Lull and Roger Sadowsky disagree, it would seem. I would tend to agree with the observation that P players are pretty traditional in their tastes, making a 5 string P a pretty small niche market. I play a Glaub and an Osborn (P & J) - I'm more in the "different basses for different sounds" school rather than trying for one bass to fit many needs. Maybe thats just an excuse to have more basses ;)
    Steve