Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mike Lull P5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Jul 16, 2004.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    It arrived! My new Mike Lull P5, with the optional J pickup. All passive, V/V/T. Ash body, maple board. It Rocks! I'm a happy camper. :)

2. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Very nice. I hope it sounds as good as it looks! :D

3. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Well, you know, I was just having that same thought. I was going to head over to the local bass store in the morning and cop some strings, but I couldn't wait. I just gave it a quick setup with the existing strings (which are new anyway), and plugged it in for a while. It sounds Great! It's punchy, snappy, and growly, all at the same time! Slaps like a dream. That J pickup is a nice feature. And the V/V/T makes it possible to dial up a classic P sound, and add in as much or as little J emphasis as needed. To add a few more tidbits, this bass is extremely well built, with close tolerances and meticulous attention to detail. Exquisite craftsmanship. Mike did a really nice job on this one. And thanks to fellow TB'er JPJ for helping me acquire this baby! :)

4. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    RIGHT ON! :smug: :bassist:

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Congrats!! That's a beauty. You're absolutely right about the fit and finish. And wow, the P5 does slap like a dream... it's tight and crisp, even when using just the P pickup.

6. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I'm in love. This bass is really nice. It came with an extra set of Mike Lull strings, which are nice, but which I can't find anywhere locally. So I'll probably revert to my usual strings, 'cause I don't want to have to do repeated setups. However, this bass is the first instrument I've had in a long time that's a piece of cake to set up. So it wouldn't be all that painful. Still, consistency is probably a good thing. I was actually thinking about trying a set of flats on this baby, just to see what they sound like. Any suggestions?

7. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Personally, I like the Lull nickle strings more so than the stainless steel. But, I genearlly like phatter strings in general (LOVE Ken Smith strings...use them on just about all of my own basses). However, when it comes to flats, it seems like Thomastik-Infled has just about taken over that department. They aren't the most inexpensive strings in the world, but you might give them a try. I got several sets a LONG time ago when they first came out (approx. 10 years ago?), and have had a set of jazz flats on my EBMM Sterling fretless since then. I'm sure they'd sound great on that P5, but I'm also sure that there are a number of other brands that would too.

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Does TI make a set of Jazz Flats in extra-long scale? I ask because the silk goes nearly all the way to the nut on 34" basses, even those that are strung top-load. The Lull P5 is a 35" scale bass... with TI flats, the silk might creep over the nut.

TI flats certainly sound great on my RB5.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've been in lust with this P-5 for some time

[​IMG]

And I'd put serious thought into it, but I hear they're the full 1 3/4" thick, and I generally don't like the thicker bodies. Lean more towards the more compact body shapes as well, but I could probably deal with the perimeter size, assuming it's the same on thee 4 as the 5, the 5 just having the wider neck pocket (then, theoretically, the body would appear smaller, and if my eyes think it's the truth, then it is...right?)

10. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    The body size on the P5 is just like it is on an M5 of M5V...standard body size, but wider neck pocket to accomodate the wider neck of the 5-string.

11. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    what did that run you, if you don't mind me asking. I'd love a "classic" 5 string P.

12. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA

Smiths? Funny you should mention that... I just went out and copped ten more sets of Rock Master Medium's this morning. Like you, I use them on many of my basses. They sound really good on the Mike Lull P5. For some reason they seem easier to set up than some others. This is the first time I've seen/used the Mike Lull strings, but they do remind me a little of the MTD strings. They have some of the same grittiness. They sound good, but they're very particular about the saddle height and angle. They sound great when they're "in", but sometimes it's hard to get there. Anyway, the Smith's sound good too. They're not as midrangey as the Lull strings, but that may be a good thing. Especially with the maple board. I just strung up one of my Roscoe's with the Smith strings too, they sound good on that bass too. Brendan, they're selling a Lull P5 just like the one in the picture, at the Amp Shop in Sherman Oaks (that's one of my local bass stores). I think it's in the 1500 dollar range, give or take. Might be worth a checkout. Talk to Justin, he's the bass guy there, real nice guy and very helpful.

Anyway, the Mike Lull bass is going to get introduced to the world next weekend, if all goes well with these new strings I intend to take it to the first available gig. I can already tell it's going to sound great. Currently playing through a WW Ultra with Bag End cabs, and the bass is delivering the exact sound I was looking for, that phat P-bass "thump" and that wonderful lower midrange. Our fans are going to be pleasantly surprised. I've been playing "Highway Star" with an MTD lately, it's fine as far as it goes, but it's not exactly the right bass for that vintage 70's stuff. The P-bass sound is more appropriate, and it's hard to go wrong with that approach for classic rock in general. Besides, every time I pick up the MTD my hand automatically goes into slap mode. Slap-blues, slap-reggae, that kind of thing. I've been chastised more than once for slapping those styles around. Hopefully this new bass will keep the vintage afficionados happy. And I can still sneak in a little slap every now and then, it'll be pretty cool pulling that out of the hat with a P-bass. :)

13. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    man...you just bought my dream bass pretty much. I wonder if he makes P5s in 34" scale? Does anyone know?
    -Bazz-