Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mike Lull P5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FunkySpoo, Feb 20, 2003.

1. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I did a search for this and found nothing,(hey I ain't no noob). So I'm thinking I want a 5 string P bass. I've tried the Fenders and really didn't like the 5 string versions. I liked the 4's though. Seems like most manufacturers don't make a 5 string P. Has anybody owned or tried a Lull P5? What do you think of it? I've heard it nails the P bass tone. Is this true? Any other suggestions for a really good 5 string P bass? Thanks.

2. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Yeah I always wondered if the Sadowsky PJ with the P p/u soloed sounded like a great P bass?

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Even if not I'm guessing it's damn close... but it still looks like a Jazz. :spit: :D :D

4. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    If I cared about looks, I wouldn't have this avitar!
    :D

5. Fuzzbass

When it comes to Fenders I've always been a P-bass guy, but in Y2K I became a 5-string guy. The RB5 does a pretty good P tone with neck pup soloed in series mode, but I wanted a more authentic 5-string P-bass. I tried the Fender Precision 5 when it came out... it has the playability I love, but I didn't care for the preamp and didn't like anything about the big bridge bucker.

When I read that Lull came out with a P5, I made a swap for one that turned up at Gguitars. It's passive, but I wouldn't call it old-school: it has a swamp ash body, maple top, PJ pups (Fralin), and 35" scale. You'll find a couple of pics in my gear album: http://community.webshots.com/album/32843156txqZTh

Here's my impressions:
    Tone is noticeably more P-bass like than the RB5... I usually play it in my C&W/blues band. Tone is however more aggressive than the traditional P thump. I attribute this to the swamp ash body: less lows, more bite. THe 35" scale might also tighten things up a bit. I personally don't believe the maple cap has anything to do with it... and if rosewood fretboard makes for mellower tone, it ain't doing so here. But I'm not complaining, just explaining. I like an aggressive P-bass tone... this bass actually sounds great for slapping (and I do NOT use the J pup at all).

Playability was sort of a disappointment for me. Don't misunderstand: playability is not poor, it is FAST. I love the satin finish on the back of the neck... note that the face of the headstock is glossy, which is a VERY cool touch! However the neck profile is very slim, and when I think of a P-bass, I think of a nice chunky neck (as the Fender P5 and RB5 have). Also: string spacing is a narrow 17mm, not the Fender-standard 19mm. 17mm isn't as comfortable for me, especially when I slap, but I get around on it OK... and no, I don't slap at all in my C&W/blues band. :p

Fit and finish: overall, top notch. The neck pocket is fantastic... beautiful fret job. Over time there are places where the finish is sinking into the pores of the wood (just a bit, mostly over the ash) but that's an FYI, I don't care a bit.

If you go to the Lull website you'll see all the different options for the P5. Right now, the only need I feel for another 5-string P-bass is for one with a chunkier neck and standard bridge spacing, so I probably won't get another Lull P5. If I did, I would choose another passive one, but this time with alder body and no J pup... an alder body should provide even older-school P-bass thump. But again, I'm happy with my ash P5, an alder one would be an addition, not a replacement.

6. Fuzzbass

Oh... just noticed the Ray 5 in your avatar. You'll probably love how the Lull plays!

7. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Thanks for the info Fuzz. Yeah if the P5 neck is anything like the SR5 then I would love it. Hey I see we're in kinda the same neck of the woods. Maybe we'll run into each other some time.

8. Fuzzbass

Funny you should mention: 3 or 4 Wednesdays ago my band went to open mic night at 94th Aero Squadron in College Park. One of the bassists played a 'Ray 5 a lot like yours... wasn't you, was it? (That Ray 5 might've had a black guard; I'm not sure either way)

9. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Nope wasn't me. My next gig is at the Clarendon Ballroom in Arlington Tuesday the 25th. SPAMSPAMSPAM&MORESPAM:D