1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mike Lull PJ5 pickup recommendations!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MAFbass1992, Jan 17, 2018.

1. MAFbass1992

MAFbass1992

Feb 4, 2012
    Montreal
    My Lull PJ5 has been my main playing bass for a couple of years now but I always had a problem with the bridge pickup which has roughly 60% volume compared to P pickup.

My bass has a Nordstrand NP5v (original owner had it replaced) and the original custom-wound J by Mike on the bridge.Originally both are custom wound by Mike. My guess is maybe that two different brands have different outputs, but also different voices?

I really love the Nordtrand NP5v, so simply wondering if anyone swapped the original Lull pickups with a pair of Nordstrands. I'm looking for a more modern tone with this bass (the 35'' scale makes it already more modern than a standard pbass) but I'd like to be able to have a bit more precision on the bridge pickup without losing volume. I play top40/jazz/fusion/rock (freelance musician stuff you know?! ;) ) with this bass and I'd like to have larger tonal options than the P pickup only. I rarely put the two pickups together because there's a volume drop.

Thanks!

2. Tinman Funk

Tinman Funk Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Arlington, Washington
    I know that this is an old thread, but I had Mike put a Nordstrand Dual Coil in the bridge position of my 35” scale P bass 5 build. My issues with a p/j setup, were exactly the same that you’re experiencing. The dual coil was Mike’s suggestion, to remedy that volume drop problem. It definitely worked and all of the blending possibilities are nice and even.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021