Mike Lull Your views

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by low-ray-me, May 24, 2005.

1. im thinking of buying a mike lull jazz put i havent played one yet. do any of you guys/gals have any exprience with these bass. any info would be gratefully recievied. Cheers
  2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I used to have one about 6 years ago, and I thought it was a VERY nice bass, but there were some aspects of the tone I felt were kind of harsh. I couldn't put my finger on it. The lows were great, the highs were a tad bit brittle, and the mids left me somewhat wanting more, although they weren't horrible. It depends on what you're into. I won't knock them, because I think Mike builds an excellent product. His CS is also topnotch.
  3. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    You have a PM. :)
  4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

I had an artist deal with them a few years ago. Nice basses but ultimately I sold my Lull and use another product now

5. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I had one for awhile but the tone control didn't make much of a difference in the sound. My MIA 62 Reissue was a much better bass.
  6. BigH

BigH Gold Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2004
    I got a used M5V last year and loved it so much I now have 3 Lulls - 2 M5Vs and a PJ-5. The PJ-5 is my main bass right now and I absolutely love it.

The necks on these basses are as straight as possible. I think the build quality of the Lulls is excellent. About the only thing I'd change is the Bart pickups on one of the M5Vs. I used to love Barts but now I may swap them out for some Fralins.

My local dealer just got in a V4 and sold it in less than a week! (That's OK since I only play 5 string now.)

7. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I have had two Lull's: a P4 and a Modern 5. I sold both, the P because I bought it used and didn't learn until too late that it weighed exactly 17 pounds. Shame on me.

The Modern 5 was a lovely bass, but at the time I wasn't playing enough on the low B to justify keeping it when a Sterling I fell in love with came along.

I would own another Lull in a heartbeat. A lot of the used ones you see on Ebay and elsewhere are probably some of the best deals you can find on a high-quality custom bass.

One comment: if you can, get the birdseye maple fingerboard. It's a thing of stunning beauty.
  8. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I wanna know too, I wanna know too... :)
  9. I've heard some mixed reviews of the Lull products from players and dealers (very different from the overwhelming positives for similarly designed products from Sadowsky and Celinder).

You might want to talk to Glenn Kawamoto at Austin Bass Traders. He carries the Lull line, and has several in stock at the moment. He's extremely good at describing the subtle differences among manufacturers, and especially differences among models/wood combinations, etc. within manufacturer. His website contains wonderful, specific descriptions of the sounds of each bass he has in stock. I've found them to be right-on for the instruments I've purchased from him. His description of the different sounds of MTD's made of different wood combinations is wonderful. He's very honest and will not try to sell you something you don't want.
  10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I owned a Lull P5 for awhile. Quality instrument! The only reason I sold it in favor of the Sadowsky P5 is that the Sadowsky has 19mm (3/4") string spacing at the bridge, whereas the Lull was narrower (17 or 18mm). I highly recommend Lull basses: excellent quality/price ratio.
  11. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    Ken, I have no idea where I was when you sold that P5. I wish I had been there to make a counter-offer on it.
  12. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois

I'm a very happy MTD customer of his. He nailed it the first time.
  13. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    I don't own a Lull, but I've had their shop do pretty significant work, including a total refret of my beloved Roscoe LG-3005. The results were perfection. I spent a lot between the two different basses I sent in and shipping, but it was well worth it... they were both better than new upon return. In particular, his fretwork is probably among the best, if not the best, out there, which is why I sent the stuff off to him.

I'd expect his instruments to be at least this good... at least regarding setup/playability. He's also very accessible, which is a quality I look for in a Luthier... even if I'm not ordering a "custom".
  14. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Actually the string spacing on Lull's are just under 19mm. Maybe the bass you had was a custom job if it was that narrow (17mm or 18mm). I owned both a Sadowsky MV5 and a Lull Vintage 5 at the same time, and to me the difference in string spacing was hardly measurable.

I really like the Lull's a lot, but compared to the Sadowsky straight on, there's something about the tone that didn't quite measure up and I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was. It could be the electronics together that make the Sadowsky sound a bit nicer. When I was making the comparison head on vs the Sadowsky, my Lull had the Fralin pickups which I wasn't a big fan of, but I've had other Lull's with the Basslines electronics that IMO were much better than the Fralins. I would like to do a comarison again with a Lull and Sadowsky, but I'd like to hear how much better the Lull's with the Nordstrand p-ups sound. I hear they're quite growly!
  15. Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    I have owned a Lull V4 in the past and it was a fantastic instrument. Perfect build quality, grat neck, and the perfect 60's jazz bass tone. I had the fralins and they are a bit darker, and if you like that punchy 60's jazz vibe, that's your bass. It's basically what a Fender should be, but rarely is.
  16. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I dig the Lull M5V the best. The neck is more comfy and more narrow to me, and the sound more focused compared to the other high end jazz style bass maker. The tone of the duncan single coils are very vintage and punchy. The stock Bartolini pre-amp in Mikes basses are a little different than your standard bart pre where the treble control is voiced higher. Mike recommends the Aguilar Pre for a more slap friendly tone, more bright where you need it.

The poster who used the term "harsh" I would agree with, because the bart pre in Mikes basses are voiced a little low (2khz) on the treble control. I could be wrong and it could be the stock pickups, either way its entirely fixable if you specify what sort of sound you want. Mike will accomodate you.

I like his necks, the neck radius, the build quality, the overall bass is superb.The three band pre is great and provides the flexibilty I need.

Its the best alternate to an actual Fender in my book.
  17. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Birdseye maple boards are the "standard" maple fingerboard on Lull basses. ;)

I agree, and make the same recommendation. People tend to compare Lulls and Sadowsky basses quite a lot. They're both Fender-style basses, but there is a significant difference in price between the two, and depending on options, there can be a measurable difference in tone too. I'd say that a Lull with the Aguilar preamp (either OPB-1 or OPB-3) is probably closer to what you could expect from a Sadowsky, whereas the Fralin/Bart or Basslines/Bart combo is a bit more reserved...more "old school", if you will. Just wanted to point out that there are differences from instrument to instrument and that these differences can (and will) have an impact on tone. :)
  18. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Main bass is an M5V, bought a PJ5 passive off of Ebay and a PJ4. All the basses were originally sold by Jay Lewis at Blueberry Hill bass who I'd also recommend.

With my current setup, Schroeder 1210, AI Focus 600 - 1 and DOD 31 band eq between the bass and the head, the M5V is the best at getting a group of consistent, room friendly sounds in literally every gig I've played. All three basses are constructed like a tank, beautiful finishes, nice neck work. My PJ5 needed a different setup than what I received as the second owner but once done all three basses play and sound great.

Unfortunately, I no longer can afford to keep all three and am selling the PJ5. The neck's width's are perfect for me...the slap tone on the basses all have "authority". I have the treble roll off all the way "up" and the treble boost all the way up and the treble and bright almost all the way up on my head and the attenuator at 1/2 way on my cabinet. It sounds fantastic.

If I could work out an endorcement deal with Mike, I would. I like these three basses more than the 3 Sadowsky's I played, and one I owned. The new M5V has an 18 volt bartolini preamp with the stock Duncan single coils where the PJ5 and 4 has duncan split p and humbucker J pickups with only a treble roll off tone control...In spite of a more minimalist approach on these two passive basses, the combining of pickups puts both basses at least as versatile as any Lakland or G&L I've ever owned and without an onboard preamp.

I can't say enough about the Lull's I have and look forward to purchasing others once my personal finances start to improve to "acceptable" levels again in the next several months hopefully.

If any of you are interested in the PJ5, look me up on Bassgear.

Larry K.
  19. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    I had a P5 for a while with custom wound Duncans and a friend here in town has a '64 Pbass and this would go toe to toe with it. I liked it so much that when I traded it and I ended up trading something to the guy to get it back. This a passive model. Highly recommended!
  20. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    thumbs up for Mike Lull and Roge Gee -
    the Lull, in my opinion, is the easiest playing of the jazz styled basses. I have one on order for myself that will be a beaut.
    I love them.