Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mike Lull's repair work totally kicks you-know-what...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vic, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I had a couple basses that needed some attention, and I'm SUPER particular about quality, so none of the local folks measured up.

My Roscoe LG-3005 needed a fret level/crown, but unfortunately, before my ownership, someone had attempted it before, just didn't do a very good job, and there wasn't enough fret material left to (re)do it right. Lookin' at a refret here.

My Peavey Cirrus 5 needed a nut and a level/crown... similarly, someone attempted to lower the strings at the nut previous to my ownership, and took the grooves too deep. Oops.

I'd heard all the raves about Mike Lull's work, and especially his fret work, so I packed'em up, sent'em off, and just got'em back. Well, it's all true, folks.

These things are PERFECT now. I thought the Roscoe played pretty well before, forgiving a little fret buzz here and there, but nothing like now. He actually planed the neck before refretting... not huge probs there, just a few thousandths away from perfection, but prolly made all the diff in how the fret job came out.

I'm equally happy with the results on the Cirrus, tho it's work was not nearly as "invasive".

The bottom line is, I'm sure there's lotsa' great folks out there, but Lull's shop has my high end business from here on out. I absolutely could not be any happier with the results. They have my highest praise.

2. Glad to hear it. I had an instrument go in for refretting and they screwed it up. I took to another guy who did the job right. I've heard of Mike's work as well. We pay good $$$ to get our gear... when it needs work... never go cheap unless the luthier is an inlaw and I'd still think about it!

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Not tellin' me anything I didn't already know! :smug: Mike builds a fantastic bass, but also is a master when it comes to fretwork, nutwork, action, intonation, and just about any repiar that you can think of. His experience with a variety of repairs over the decades is what contributes to his bass-making skills.

A guy in Wisconsin who purchased the M4V below recently dropped his beloved instrument ( :eek: :eek: :eek: ) and ended up chipping the paint on the headstock. Mike is in the process of making it look like it never happened. ;)

4. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Hey vics, if you don't mind sharing . . . . How much did it cost to do such repairs (ballpark is OK) and how long did it take them (minus in-transit time)?

Thanks.

5. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    No prob, I'm sure he quoted me what he'd quote anyone:

There was about a two week wait to get started (no biggie, I have other basses I'm happy to use in their absence). I think it took him less than a week to get both basses done. He logged 11 hours total, and even included the fretwire on the refret, which was nice. He charged $65/hour. I then also paid for the bone nut and return shipping.

6. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    I was asked if I had a Lull, to which I said "Not yet, but a Modern 5 was on my list... from even before this experience, though this experience has reinforced my GAS for it". :)

What's even funnier, is he mentioned your shop, noting I was in IL, but then there's those damn Alder Roscoes, and my total lack of spending money these days... :meh:

7. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    So that was almost $400 for each refret and setup. . .

Not bad considering it was done by a master and the results show for it, but not cheap either! Dang!

But I have to say also (to keep contradicting myself) that the fret job is definitely one of the most important aspects of a bass.

Enjoy'em!
    :bassist:

8. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Actually, not quite. The Roscoe was 7.5 of the hours... the bulk of the cost... remember it needed a LOT more work. However, your point is still very valid, and considering the quality of work, the "criticalness" of those particular jobs (like you say), and how much I value those instruments, it was a good deal.

9. Hmmmmm....alder Roscoes......... :eyebrow:

10. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Mike is a hero. I've taken my P and Sterling to him multiple times and he always does me right.

Picture if you will, my beloved Sterling on its stand one night after I dinked around with it in my basement. It was cold that night and I had my little space heater on. Well, as luck would have it, that heater was blowing right past the neck of the bass. Not too big a deal, until 3 days later, when I came back from a long weekend to find the heater STILL ON and blowing on the bass.

:eek: :bawl:

The neck was severely dried out and bowed. I called Mike and he said to put it in a bathroom with hot running water in the tub. Let it sit for awhile. I did and it didn't work. I ended up taking it in to him. A few days later he had that thing playing better than ever. IIRC, he had to shave down the neck a bit, as well as refret it. Think legendary Sterling skinny neck, only even skinnier!

Most recently I took the Sterling back in for some electrical issues. Needed new pots. No big deal and I had it back and running relatively quickly (NAMM show was on).

My basses only go to GuitarWorks.

11. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Yep, inside werd, dude. :)

12. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Very cool. Mike's a VERY friendly, and incredibly personable guy in ...person.