Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mike MacIvor,Candiria....(Metal)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by VS, Oct 31, 2002.

1. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    I don't know if any of you have heard of the metal band Candiria. If not,I do recommend checking them out. It's a well put together jive of metal/jazz and some latin influences as well. Their bassist is worth checking out. http://www.candiria.com -Luke

2. Those guys are way out there. Once you get past the vocals, the music is phenomenal. They just don't have any boundaries. That's the way I like my music. I've seen them live and they're even better live. I highly recommend checking them out if you're into heavy music that really stretches the limits.

3. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I'd have to agree - Candiria is a great band and they are even better live.

I think we need more bands like these guys around, that can blend radically different genres without any trouble at all.

4. I love Candiria...The double cd is called"The Coma Imprint" They were recently in a terrible accident where their van was rear ended by a semi..All band members were injured , one sustaining a broken collarbone.Also their gear was completely demolished.. So wish them a speedy recovery..I don't have an issue with the vocals and I am not a fan of that particular vocal style at all. The band certainly blends those styles seamlessly..The first metal band that made me sit up and take notice since Meshuggah with "Destroy Erase Improve" back in the mid 90's..

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep, I've had the good fortune of seeing them live a couple of times, they are exceptional. I wish them all a speedy recovery!

6. yessir, candiria is good.

7. I wasn't saying that the vocals were bad, they're just not for everybody. The only negative comment that I've ever heard about Candiria was about the vocals...

8. Negative Theory...Sorry if you thought I was directing the vocal thing toward you, wasn't at all. Just saying that if i ever would have had a problem with them it would have been with the vocals..so I am actually surprised that they don't trouble me.. Smash...I saw them a few months ago and they were masterful..full on jazz/metal experience...I can see how it would be disappointing if they were to neglect the jazzier, eclectic side of things..that being a big part of their attraction....

9. candiria is my absolute favorite band. process.of.self.development is my favorite album.