Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mike Merritt's fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stachio, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    He rarely seems to play it on Conan O'Brien. It doesn't seem to match any of the basses listed on his site.
    Anybody know what it is ?
    I can't find a picture of it at the moment.

2. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
  3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    He also plays a Lull M4V. I absolutely LOVE jazz basses in candy apple red with matching headstock! Woo Hoo!!:D

4. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
  5. he sounds great on that Lull too doesn't he?

6. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    You betcha! For whatever reason, it seems like the best way to get a weak, nonexistant, muddy bass sound is to be the bass player in a late night talkshow band. For ONCE, the guys at Late Night w/Conan O'Brien have finally gotten it right. The intro to the theme song is great. Mike built a bass for me about a year ago, and I went with the same color scheme as tehe one on the Late Show bass. I think one would be hard-pressed to find a better looking Fender custom color combo than candy apple red w/matching headstock and mint pickguard. I've been wanting to do a "Goldfinger" bass for a while modeled after a Strat I once saw in shoreline gold, w/ maple board and gold hardware. That might be the next bass I order from Mike...he does such great work and offers some serious bang for your buck as well.

7. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    None. At all.
    What shows have you been watching? These shows feature fine players using excellent gear, in some cases mixed on SSL boards.

They all sound great to me, but I listen on a home theater system. Regular TV sets don't have a ton of low end.

8. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I'm watching all the regulars....Leno, Letterman, Conan, Jimmy, SNL, but on a regular Sony TV. I don't think that there is a problem with the players or the gear at all. You're right...they're all amazing. It just seems like the bass never cuts through the mix....epecially when they have live musical acts on at the end of the show. So much attention is given to achieving a good drum sound that I often think that bass players get lost in the mix.

9. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    None. At all.
    It's mostly a problem of most televisions having small speakers - I can see where you're coming from.

Over the years, I've heard board tapes and legit releases from the talk show bands, as well as shows taped off the air played on the mentioned home theaters, car stereos, and through headphones. There, you'll hear some of the biggest, strongest, and finest tone to be had today - especially from Uncle Will. Give it a try - I think some people are really missing out if they have a small TV.

10. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    ...I don't know if 36" is considered small these days or not?! ;) Guess I need to go see my pals down the road at Bag End and pick up one of their subs for my living room!!! :)

11. The speakers in ALL TVs are crap! Run a line from your TV or video into your stereo or home theatre, and hear all the bass you want.