mike mills from rem!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by neon213, Mar 14, 2006.

1. neon213

Mar 14, 2006
    i live in athens georgia, and in december the bassist mike mills from rem was the grand marshall for the local christmas parade(seeing how athens is the home town of rem), but anyways my girlfriend was on the phone with me, and i saw mike walking down the street and i said mike! (and my girlfriend is the rem fan, i kinda like them), he walked right up, signed an autograph for my girlfriend, and me even said hey to her on the phone. so he was nice....

i wouldnt mind meeting flea
  2. Nice to hear that he's a cool guy. He's one hell of a bassist--one of the most underrated players out there, I think.
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I always assumed him to be a down to earth, nice guy. I'm glad to here he was cool too.

He was a huge influence on my playing in the mid-late 80s. I still listen to a few early releases from REM. Besides his bass playing, I love that way he contradicts Stipe in songs....

like from the tune "Can't Get There from Here"

Mills sings: "I've been there I know the way"
    under Stipe singing: "Can't get there from here"
  4. slackdaddy

Mar 1, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Endorsing Artist: David Eden Amplifiers / Rob Wave Custom basses
    I was surprised to see Mike Mills at a show of mine and I asked him if he would autograph my bass. He was extremely cordial and signed "Better than Me" I was honored; however we played a show opening for P-Funk the next day, outdoors in Atlanta during the summer and at the end of the show I could not figure out what the blue stain on my shirt was until I looked down and his signature had been sweated off, D'oh!
  5. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Next time get him to sign the FRONT!
  6. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Mike is the reason I have a thing for P basses, he got some nice tones out of them on Green, Out of Time, Automatic for the People and some of the newer albums. In my opinion he sometimes has the tendency to jam a couple too many notes into a bass line (especially on "Automatic") but the upside of his approach is that his lines are often very creative.
  7. R.E.M. "died" after they released Green. Enough said.

Enter Stewie Griffin voice:

"I have no problem with that Green recording at all. Not at all. Love the "Stand" video. Great stuff. Everyone's all happy and GreenPeacey. Love it. And how about that Stipe guy who splashes mustard all over his face during live shows? He's cool too. Big fan. Big fan. And oh yeah, how about that Natalie Merchant thing? I'd like to tap that. Do you think he tapped that? I'll bet he did. Hey Brian, do you remember what happened after that story hit the news? Didn't you try to leg-hump Lois like, everyday? BAM! BAM! BAM! Denied!!!!"

Exit..... ;)

Fables is one of the greatest records of all times.

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    for me, Life's Rich Pageant and Fables take turns in the top spot... both have had countless hours of play time on my systems.
  9. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    I guess I'm a total featherweight when it comes to early R.E.M, but my excuse is that the people I hung out and started my first "band" with ages ago were nuts about "Automatic" and their enthusiasm was contagious. It was the first CD I ever bought and it's still one of my favourite records.
  10. I love Life's Rich Pageant. Especially for the bass and Mike's singing. I love his voice :D

And R.E.M. have gone to crap? I find myself LOVING Around The Sun...
    But I only have about half their albums. Need to buy some more of them or kick my room mate into doing so ^^;; (album sharing ftw)

But, yeah, in interviews I've seen with him he always looked like a really nice guy. Glad to hear :)
  11. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    Glad to hear Mike was cool. REM has been one of favorites from the beginning; but I like pretty much all the albums including Green (the one time I saw them live was during the Green tour). I like to see a little stretching and experimenting in a band.
  12. Mr Venus

Mr Venus Guest

Aug 23, 2005
    Should've stopped at "Enough said"...