Mike Mills

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by relman, Apr 26, 2001.

1. Anyone into this guy?
    I love his playing, makes the band soooo much richer....
    So does Adam Clayton (U2)
  2. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    My brother's high school history teacher was into him. They dated while she was at the University Of Ga. I think he's ok, but nothing stellar.
  3. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    There was a thread on Mike Mills earlier this year. You may want to try a search. I think the consensus was that he was admirable for laying down a solid foundation. Nothing really flashy although he had done some cool riffs over the years.
  4. bootyquake

Mar 29, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Mike Mills really made that band in a lot of ways, though REM was a success because all four of those guys had such a unique sound. I always thought his playing was tasteful and supportive without being boring, not an easy task.

Adam Clayton of U2, on the other hand, is cattle. So many 8th notes on the root--in any other context he would be laughed out of town. But, again, the band is so singular that he manages to pull it off. What I respect about him is that he's the first to admit that he's not really a bass-player-dude-hyper-musician. So you can't really blame him; it's not as if he a big egotist.

Still, even my non-musician friends listen to U2 and say "Wow, that bass player's not very inventive, is he?"
  5. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    wanna talk about boring, lets get back on Michael Anthony.