Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIke MIsch fretless ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by godoze, Dec 18, 2002.

1. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Has anyone ever played one of these ? I just played a 5 string fretless, solid Koa body, ebony board 5 piece neck. SWEET !

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I've never even heard of them. Are the capital M's and I's part of the name? Maybe he's from MI. :D

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    no, those are typos.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Oh.

Well, I like my theory better. ;)

5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
  6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Yes it is, but I personally don't like it. (I'll bet I'd love it if I played it! :))

7. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Does that make any sense ? BTW, what don't you like about it?

it plays like buttah dude...

8. mr. zero

mr. zero

Sep 21, 2001
    Lansdale, PA
    Seemed nice, although I can't stand older Wilkinson bridges. There's no side-to-side stability of the saddles and they can actually slip if you play too hard. That bass would definitely need a new bridge to make it complete.

9. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    really ? I played the hell out of it for an hour and had not a trouble...

10. mr. zero

mr. zero

Sep 21, 2001
    Lansdale, PA
    On how far out the saddles are set. If you look at the picture above, you can see that the saddles are in pretty tight. But, you can still see that the "B" is pushed in a bit toward the "E." If you have to run the saddles fairly far out for proper intonation, that's when you run into trouble. Wilkinson could have eliminated the problem by merely cutting some grooves for the height adjustment screws to sit in, helping to preserve the string spacing.

11. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i'm not familiar with those bridges but you know when I first picked it up ( i zero'd in on it as soon as i walked in the store !) my first thought was "i'd change that bridge."

You gotta admit that that thing is sweet. Not only is it well crafted but it is a one off work of art.

Plus the neck plays like a demon !

12. mr. zero

mr. zero

Sep 21, 2001
    Lansdale, PA
    Yeah, when I tried it at the Guitar Show at the Valley Forge Convention Center a few weeks ago, it really just needed a neck relief tweaking and it would have be all set.

13. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Did Rob have it at that point ?

14. mr. zero

mr. zero

Sep 21, 2001
    Lansdale, PA
    Yup. Although, I could've sworn he was asking $1300 for it at the show.

15. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    that's the asking price at the shop...Did you see that nice Smith 6 he picked up ?

16. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The body shape is absolutely hideous to me. I mean Wishnevsky hideous. But others may like it, it's obviously well crafted, I'm sure it's very nice.

17. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Good God ! Wishnevsky hideous ??

Wow...I cannot stand wishy's designs but i really like this bass- Wish was probably the furthest thing from my mind when i saw this bass.

Ya know, Wish has got to be digging all the publicity he gets on TB( negative or not) don't you think ?