1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mike mushok baritone to bass vi tuning?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jbrady, Jan 12, 2012.

1. jbrady

jbrady

Sep 23, 2009
    I've done a lot of searching on the subject, and in not coming up with any experiences with tuning and strings to bring the prs Mike mushok down to a tic tac bass tuning.

Thanks for any insights or experiences.

2. grisezd

grisezd

Oct 14, 2009
    Ohio
    D'addario has a Bass VI set in their XL line. I have them on my home built. I'd like a little stiffer low E, but otherwise they're fine. Tuned E to E, typically.

Does the Mushok have a 30in scale? Shorter may not be so great.

3. jbrady

jbrady

Sep 23, 2009
    It has a 28 inch scale, which I figured might be a problem. With a shorter scale, does that mean it would need thicker strings? I'm sure I can assemble a set from just strings, and will use that bass vi set as a guideline.

I hope thats the case, because I haven't found any other baritone basses I'm attracted to. Especially this one in sunburst.

4. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    It's a baritone ment to be tuned to B I believe. I'm not totally sure what tic tac is, but I would tune it any way you want. It's ment for his altered tunings and tuning below A I believe. Most baritones are only 27 " that I have seen so 28 should be able to handle anything you can throw at it.