1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mike N and other car experts, help!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Trevorus, Aug 21, 2005.

  1. Trevorus


    Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I have a 93 galant with a power steering line with a rust hole in it. Is this a possible patch? I know while working on my bro-in-law's 91 park ave, both power steering lines used flanged ends with hose clamps. I can flare the ends to get a tighter fit if need be, but I just don't want to have to dissect the entire steering system for this. The plan is to cut all the rusted and damaged section and replace it with high-pressure rated hose. I guess if I tried it and it didn't work, it could just leak like it is now... But I don't want to talk out the P/S pump as it's 110 dollars by itself. That is with a separate reservoir, which is insane. (BTW, replacing a faulty ignition module costs 300 (but replacing the entire distributor cost the same, so guess what I did (and replacing a fried computer from shoddy components from the manufacturer also cost 300))). Wow that was a lot of paretheses. Anyways, any help is appreciated.
  2. I really do not think there is anything that you can use to patch a power steering line. Especially if it is the pressure hose and not the return line.

    If it is just the return line you possibly could patch it with some steel brake line and some compression fittings. Not the best thing though. You are better off buying a new line in either case.

    I have been in the parts business for about 20 years. Check you PM.
  3. tplyons


    Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    That's why my car's from the 80's. Either the parts are a few bucks or they can't be bought new anymore :)
  4. Mike N

    Mike N Missing the old TB Supporting Member

    Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    If it's the return line, rubber hose and clamps will work (the return line is zero pressure), but any other line should be replaced rather than rigged together.
  5. MJ5150

    MJ5150 Terrific Twister

    Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Yep, smart move. My son wants to buy himself a newer Mitsubishi or Subaru. I told him to be prepared for spendy repair bills. I have no idea how to work on new cars.

  6. Beefbass

    Beefbass Guest

    Feb 4, 2001

    Not only are those brands expensive parts wise, but from what I've seen working in the car business, they are absolute junk. Do whatever you can to try to talk him out of one of those.

    As to the original question-sounds like that rust hole is in a pressure line. Like Mike N said, return lines are basically just rubber hoses. It wouldn't be wise IMHO to try to patch a pressure line. The only way to fix it properly is to get a new one. If there is a metal washer for the banjo bolt, replace that too.

    Hope that helps :hyper:
  7. Trevorus


    Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I'll have to track it down and see where it goes. Unfortunately, I cannot look under the car and turn the wheel and see if it is a pressure line or a return line. Knowing my luck, it's probably on the pressure side, but advanced auto parts seems to have the one for 16 bucks. I'll check a couple of others.