1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mike Patton - Vocal Effects - Pedalboard

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by whoatherechunk, Apr 8, 2009.

1. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    does anybody have information on the specific effects pedals he uses for vocal effects? thanks.

2. he uses a korg kaoss pad, boss rv3, an Alesis something or other(its something mostly used for DJS), a whammy 4, a circuit bent mega phone made by Casper Electronics, and I have seen him with a distortion pedal with Tomahawk but it wasnt there when I saw Fantomas. He also uses a Roland DJ 70 Keyboard, a Micro Korg and a MIDI controller for his Mac.

Hope this helped. He adds and subtracts stuff a lot but every time I have seen him he had The Kaoss Pad.

3. And in the early days of Bungle he used a DOD multi effect......I think.

4. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City

When I saw Mr. Bungle live in 1989 @ Maxwell's in Hoboken NJ, the FOH engineer had an Eventide H3000 UltraHarmonizer inserted on Mike's vocal channel, and he was tweaking parameters and recalling presets non-stop throughout the show...just tons and tons of different effects changing constantly from moment to moment.

5. yeah i have a bootleg where Patton is using said Harmonizer in a rack case. Come to think of it I think it was Gibby Haynes that used the DOD.....i got my maniacs mixed up. But I stand by the first post.

6. d180fuzz

d180fuzz C21H30O2

Jul 10, 2008
    West Los, CA
    YES! Minidisc!

7. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    Hmmmm. I like....but I would have thought that he would use more pedals. Anyone know where one could get his tomahawk era gas mask?

8. his gas mask just has a microphone pick up wired into it. he used it on some of the DEP stuff too.

about the pedals.....it really depends on the band, and the kaoss pad can do A LOT. He also can make his voice do a lot.

9. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    very neat. very neat. good info skulletwhip. thanks.

10. i am a fan boy. what can i say?

11. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    do you by any chance know which distortion pedal he used?

12. no.

13. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I see it too. I had one of those but can't think of what he may have used it for. Recording? Samples?

14. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    yeaaaaa i was wondering the same thing.

15. those two set ups were from improv sets....so probably running pre recorded stuff through the kaoss pad. with Fantomas he uses his Mac for that kind of stuff.

16. Mads

Mads Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2005
    Oslo, Norway
    Splitting the vocal and running it through amps doesn't hurt for distortion work either ;)

(got nada info on his effect chain since it varies depending on which project he's working on, but I've had the pleasure of doing monitors for him twice and FOH for him once) :)

And the MD is for pre-recorded stuff, but way less than anyone would expect.

17. i have seen him mad at monitor guys......not turning him up enough etc.....

how was your experience?

18. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    yea i like patton....but he seems like hmmmmm...a jackass hahahaha.

19. actually I met him 3 times and he was VERY cool each time. I meant that the sound guy want paying ANY attention and General P couldn't hear himself. So he got pissed.

I talked to him afterwards and thats what he told me then he laughed it off and he signed my Angel Dust vinyl then we talked about death metal.