Mike Pecanic

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by christ andronis, Jul 19, 2004.

1. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001
    Anyone know what happened to Mike Pecanic's website??

Mike....are you there??

(I just got my claro walnut tailpiece installed...and yes, it did make a difference)
  2. mpm

May 10, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Hey, I'm still here. My webmeister is busy on this issue but if any one wants to get ahold o' me use the mikepecanicmusic@yahoo.com mail box. I picked a heluva week to give up sniffing glue, huh?
  3. A ting o' bee-yootie.

Is the walnut considered a heavy or light wood? I've heard that a lighter tailpiece is better for jazz.
  4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Hey Mike, how you doing with the koa search?

That Claro's purty .
  5. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Mike P. -- thank God you're OK, man! ;)

While we're talkin' Pecanic TPs (and that's a beaut ya got there, androgynous), check out this quilted maple Mike shaped up; sent it unfinished, and I went at it with a mild 2-tone tiger eye technique, followed with a little shading on the sides and satin lacquer to wrap things up. Huffin' glue or not, there are some great things coming from Mike's shop...

Attached Files:

6. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001
    Brent.....oooooohhhh, that tailpiece is making me feel all warm and squishy.....in a good way :hyper:

Mike....the walnut is lighter than the ebony tailpiece I had on there before. The difference in the sound, at least to me, is that the "E" string is a looser and seems to resonate better....my luthier described it as more ringing in general. He was quite impressed with the difference it made. I'm glad I did it.
  7. FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    Did you change strings at the same time or did you leave the existing ones on? I would imagine that a string change at the same time would make it nearly impossible to tell how much difference the tailpiece alone made.

Also, has anyone switched the "mystery hardwood" tailpiece on a recent vintage Christopher for one of Mike P.'s pieces?

I also second Goodbar's question about "light vs. heavy" for jazz. Can anyone weigh in on this one? :D
  8. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Nope, not yet. Maybe after I buy an amp for my Busetto. But first, I gotta invest in removing a high spot on the FB and getting a custom bridge made. I think the bridge replacement will do even more for the bass than a tailpiece would. At least my luthier thought so, since he didn't think a replacement was neccessary, but def on the bridge.
  9. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    I have. It reduced the tension of the strings, and improved the response and projection. I have the Claro Walnut, on a DB304F5, AKA the Hybrid 5-string Busetto.

10. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001

As a matter of fact, no, I didn't change the strings when I had the tailpiece replaced. I did however replace the endpin with a longer one as the bass height was affecting my posture, hand position, etc..
  11. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I've got some nice flamed koa if anyone is looking.
  12. mpm

May 10, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Ok, got the website fixed, what a pain...sorry for an inconvience.
  13. mpm

May 10, 2001
    Los Angeles
  14. T Sony

T Sony

Mar 5, 2004
    Hey what tail piece cord is that?
  15. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    I'll bite...