1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mike Pope flexcore cavity depth

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dasto, Jul 6, 2012.

1. dasto

dasto

Sep 15, 2007
    Switzerland
    I have the intention to swap the preamp of either my Pedulla MVP or my Spector Euro CRFM. Has anybody already made the experience with one of those basses if the flexcore preamp fits in the cavity or if adjusting wood work has to be done.
    Thanks for answering

2. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    The Flexcore requires a control cavity depth of 1.25 inches / 31.75mm which is easily accommodated by most basses. But there's another area to pay close attention to: on many basses the pots are located very close to the wall of the control cavity. The Flexcore (and newer EMG) preamps have circuit boards attached to the pots and the increase in size means they might not fit.

It's easy enough to sand the wall of the control cavity with a small rotary tool (Dremel) but if the cavity is shielded then you'll have to repair the shielding once everything fits and cover the Flexcore circuit boards so they don't accidentally short against the shielding.

3. dasto

dasto

Sep 15, 2007
    Switzerland
    Thanks for your advice. My problem is, I'm on vacation in Florida and my basses are back home in Switzerland, so no way to measure the cavity of the instruments. Should I just take the risk and buy one ?

4. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    If you really want the Flexcore to fit, I'm sure there's a way to make it fit. But if you find it's not a simple drop-in replacement and you don't want to go to the trouble of modifying your bass I'm sure you could sell it locally since I have yet to hear one bad thing about these preamps.

5. dasto

dasto

Sep 15, 2007
    Switzerland
    Good point!
    I'll sleep over it and decide tomorrow, since bestbassgear offers a 10% discount until Monday!