1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

mike pope mpp-1 with fender mb1200 poweramp help.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jazzcrime, Apr 28, 2009.

  1. hi guys,
    ordered both of these - in the process of waiting! got the fender mb1200 at a real cheap price new so i jumped on it. this is my first time going down the pre + power road. i was just wondering what kind of cable i will have to get to connect the two? i'm a little confused about whether a regular patch cable will do or if i need a speaker cable or what.
    here's some info on the mpp-1:

    and the user manual for the fender mb1200:
    http://www.fender.com/support/manuals/pdfs/manuals_elec/basspdf/MB 1200_069124a.pdf

    thanks for your help!
  2. jastacey

    jastacey Supporting Member

    Feb 8, 2009
    The hook-up is simple, you can use one of 3 types of cables 1. a plain instrument cable with one black ring on the 1/4" plug .... 2. a TRS cable with 2 black rings on the 1/4 " plug ....3. a mike cable XLR Male fittings on both ends ...keep the cables short. the best connection is the XLR, then the TRS, as both types will be the quietest ..the XLR with the male fittings may be kinda hard to find ...I don't really know, as I build all my cable/patch cords that power amp is a good one, as it is most likely the same power section as the Fender Bassman Pro 1200.Sunn 1200s
  3. I have several preamps and use either a standard, (high quality), instrument patch cable or an XLR to join the preamp to poweramp... Both the MPP-1 and Fender have both 1/4 and XLR output,inputs respectively...

    I favour the XLR jus because it locks into position...
  4. thepontif


    Apr 24, 2004
    Designer Fodera Guitars/Michael Pope Design, Inc., Trickfish Amplification
    Weird that Fender would use a male jack for an input like that. Outputs are supposed to be male and inputs female. Kind of a drag for the woman I guess. Anyway, use a mic cable with a gender changer on the male end (available in France) or go the TRS route for sure...as jastacey suggested. You want to keep the signal balanced wherever possible. A regular guitar cable will work, but not as well. For one, you'll lose 6dB of level and your noise floor will come up.
  5. KJung

    KJung Supporting Member

    I assume any 'custom' cable company (like Bayou or whatever) could easily make a custom balanced 'female to female (or whatever is needed)' cable of the optimum length. With a nice rig like that, I would spend the dollars to do it right.

    To the OP, I would also recommend getting two made and keep one around for backup. You could specify a 1 foot cable or whatever you need to get from the pre to the power amp, and that would keep your rack nice and neat, etc. Also, remember that for some companies, cable length is measured including the length of the jack, so make sure you add a few inches to the minimum cable length you think you need.

Share This Page