1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mike pope preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Johnboch, May 12, 2010.

1. Johnboch

Johnboch

May 7, 2010
    I want the fodera sound, so I was going to have an active pope pre put in a custom. I haven't really found the answer to this question, so I'll just ask it directly. Why do people pay so much for these things? What is so great about them and why do they cost much more than other preamps?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    IMO as truly great as Pope products are, their price is "justified" by the Fodera connection. Try asking in the basses forum why do people pay so much for Foderas. :) Then figure 95% of Pope preamp buyers are like you, wanting the Fodera sound without paying for a Fodera. So even at twice the cost of other preamps, it seems like a bargain by comparison.

Note to Mike if he reads this: I totally understand the cost of your labor and overhead, but other makers are saddled with the same costs, yet cannot ask the same price because they do not have the famed brand association.

3. thepontif

thepontif

Apr 24, 2004
    Designer Fodera Guitars/Michael Pope Design, Inc., Trickfish Amplification
    My price for an internal preamp has dropped DRASTICALLY so don't shy away. I used to charge between $400 and $500 for one when I was hand building them from scratch. But I have a new design that's factory assembled in the US (but still SUPER flexible) that goes for about 25% - 40% less than that. Send me an email for a price list. I think I'm pushing it just saying what I've said.

4. thepontif

thepontif

Apr 24, 2004
    By the way, the reason the price was so high before was because I always offered custom work...every one was made from scratch by me and most were entirely unique. I always offered essentially indefinite "tweaking" so if you didn't like a particular control's character I'd change it until you liked it. I found that very few people ever did that, though. Most people either really liked it. Some didn't. If they didn't, they had other options, but most just sold it. I suppose because thought it would always sound the way it sounded. I don't know.

Now what I have is a 4 band that can be set up as 3 or 2 and can have a WIDE variety of different control configurations and switching as well as jumpers for frequency selection. I don't have nearly as much time in them so they're a lot cheaper. But they are a more refined design for sure.

5. Just Thumpin'

Just Thumpin' Commercial User

Mar 7, 2008
    NE United States
    Manager and Partner, Fodera Guitars (as of 10/14/09)
    To be clear, however, the preamp that we use in the Custom line (and that Mike worked with Joey to tweak for the "Fodera" vibe), is not the one that he sells privately...

6. thepontif

thepontif

Apr 24, 2004
    Yes. That's entirely true. The FODERA preamp is totally proprietary.

7. gre107

gre107

Dec 25, 2005
    PA
    I'm just going to chime in for a second and say that the on-board Pope preamp used by Fodera hands down is the best! Mike certainly hit a "Home Run" with that one!