Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mike Pope's Fodera bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JP Basses, Nov 18, 2002.

1. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Does anyone have more info/pics of pretty unusual mike's fodera bass???:

[​IMG]

It seems to have a flat headstock, much knobs :D and a distinctive shape...

JP

2. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    I found some infos at the fodera yahoo group:

" I remember that it had some very interesting design features. I believe it had three pick-ups and two seperate pre-amps. I also think it was a 34"."

"The bass also has a removable fretboard extension that takes the bass from 21 to 24 frets. It is the coolest thing: the fretboard extension attaches to the bass via a set of magnets. He removes the extension for slapping and installs it for solos.
    Ingenious!! You are right about the pickups and preamps. The bass also has a solid Koa body with a bolt-on Fender-style neck. What I mean by that is that it is that the headstock is not angled back like a regular Fodera: it is flat like a fender and thus requires a string tree."

Pics would be cool...

JP

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I know you're quoting from the Yahoo group here, but can anyone enlighten me as to how this is 'cool' rather than annoying? How does slapping at the 21st rather than 24 fret alter the sound (and if it's that important, why not just slap over the 21st without removing the final few frets)?

The only possible reason I can think of for a device like this is if you had a 21 fret that you loved to play but wanted a little more range on... although then the lower horn would probably prevent easy access and why rely on magnets to hold it on? I'm always open to new ideas but would be genuinely interested in hearing the WHY of this particular 'innovation'.

Wulf

4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    The reason is probably more space for your popping fingers rather than a different slap sound. Makes sense to me. Magnets seems like a good idea if you need to change between songs, no time for screws then.

5. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Yeah I think that could be the point: space.

I first thought that if the bass really featured 3 pickups then, space remaining for the popping fingers could be tiny with 24 frets.

But as we can see in the pic, the neck pickup is not too close from the fingerboard (extension included) so maybe it's just a preference thing about popping near the 21st fret where strings are a bit more easy to pull...

BTW magnets are a cool way to allow fast removal. I have made some truss rod covers attached with magnets.

JP

6. Funkyaurora

Funkyaurora

Aug 21, 2002
    Norway
    To JP Basses;

I have noticed that others refer to the "fodera yahoo group" also, but I can`t seem to find this forum. How about posting a link to this forum?

Thanks, :)

7. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Sure,

here we go:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/foderabassguitars/

Enjoy, JP

8. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I've seen Mike’s bass a few times. The removable fret board is pretty wild. I think along with space it also has to do with pickup relation to the fret your slapping on. The further the fret is from the pickups the more bottom you will get out of the slap verse the tight trebly. From a closer pickup to the slapped fret (hope that clear).

As for the preamp, Mike makes a few different preamps. Obviously the one in his bass, Victor also has a different preamp in his bass then everyone gets. And I'm sure there are a few other endorsees that have different preamps, since those two do, but I don't know who else for fact.

9. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Hmmnn... must just be my prejudice showing through then ;)

I'll stick (boom boom :D ) with 24 frets and no magnets - each to their own, I guess.

Wulf

10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I wonder why he wanted a flat headstock?!?! :confused:

String trees are bad, m'kay?

11. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    sorry guys... that's gotta be one of the coolest looking beasts I've ever seen... the tree's cool, the extension is cool... the pu's and knobs are cool...

what I dig about it is that he's totally made HIS bass. with things that HE likes... it's not a lame "custom" bass that's made to be just like x...
    Brian I know you must hear it from guys all the time- that they want a "custom" bass but only thing that isn't JUST like something else is the choice of top wood...

That's one of the reasons I decided to chunk the idea of having a bass built... I don't yet have things that I want that I can't find in the upper end basses on the market...

So to that's why Dave Pope's bass is SO cool... those are his prefs... the little things that he's come up with that makes his bass unique that he likes... the fact that he can play it like a mofo don't hurt either.

12. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    I agree, this bass is pretty cool.

I really would like to see more pics of it. Haven't found anything more than the featured pic over the web :(

JP

13. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    I'm absolutely fascinated by the whole NYC scene- the guys like Pope, Lincoln Goines, Matt Garrison, and the like just thrill me to death... there's no place like it, and I think Fodera does a great job (though subtle) of romanticizing the idea... at least when I think of New York, I think of unsung jazz heroes playing Fodera's at The blue note on any given Tuesday night.... likewise when I think of Fodera, I think of the same thing...

funny how the view looks from down here in Tejas.

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    ...Magnets seem like they would creat intonation problems, unless it was PRECISE in it's placement, and there was zero shifting while in place...

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Wulfy,

i think we might be confusing "slapping" with "popping". on mike's bass, its evident there's very little room for that, thus the removable extension.

besides, instead of getting another bass, he seems committed to just using one bass to cover all of his needs, and i think that's cool. especially in a place like this... ;)

Slappin's easy on whatever fretted bass, even fretless, no? but, on a few 24 fret basses, i've had trouble being able to pop comfortably with my fingers due to the lessened area between the pickups and fretboard. luckily on my Elrick, there's juuuuust enough room.

[​IMG]

with room permitting, and low low action that i love, i actually love the tone of 24 fretted slapping. feels a bit more responsive, not as floppie, and also seems to have a quicker edge for "typewriting" like slapping.

btw, got a pic of your 24 fret bass? i'd like to see how much room you have down theres. might explain alot of things.

16. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    jokerjkny, the bass I was thinking about (6 string Sei ) was:

[​IMG]

Below the last fret the wood from the fingerboard smoothly drops down to the body level - it's not a fretless extension so much as a purely aesthetic device, playing with the aesthetic of visually extending the cut of the upper horn.

It gives me about 2" to play with although my popping zone is normally that 1" or less over the dark wood. I can see what you're saying, but I find that 1" is enough - even on my backup bass (Hohner B2A - headless, bodyless Steinberger clone).

I can see what you're saying, but I'd still rather have 24 frets all the time :)

BTW, nice looking Elrick - I got to try one of these a month or so ago and was very impressed by the feel... enough to help me start to get over my initial negative reaction to the lack of top horn cutaway ;)

Wulf

17. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    yumm!!! thats all i can say.