Mike Porcaro

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Jul 1, 2004.

1. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Hey everybody, I don't see a lot of talk about Mike Porcaro from Toto. He was one of my first bass inspirations. I love his slap playing because it's so tasteful.

Anyone here, also a Mike Porcaro fan?
  2. FR5

Feb 12, 2004
    I'm not really a die-hard fan, but I like his playing and he was an inspiration in the early days. Last year I saw him with Toto in Amsterdam, I was really looking forward to hearing him play live. Unfortunately the guy at the sound console had probably been smoking too many funny cigarettes during the day, the sound of Mike's bass was totally lost in the mix. It was so bad I could nearly cry, and it wasn't the fault of the acoustics of the venue, I have seen some great sounding concerts there.

This show was supposed to be special as it was used for recording a live DVD. Maybe that it why the sound was terrible, some people were concentrating on other things. I haven't seen the DVD yet but I expect a lot of things needed to be fixed afterwards.

3. Mike Porcaro - Tighter'n a mouthful o' lemon with a persimmon chaser!
  4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    w00t! Yeah! great player... I spent MANY hours trying to cop some of his grooves in the 80's
  5. Didn't Mike P. and David Hungate both play bass with Toto?

I'l have to look at album credits on some of my discs. Also, I thought one of them passed away (I think it was David).

6. Mike porcaro's fan over there! :D
    The DVD of the live in amsterdam is incredible, because if you retire MP from toto this night, the groove is out!

I think this guy is a very tasteful BP, never too much....
    A very good BP to see in concert!

7. Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    It was younger brother Jeff, the drummer.
  8. Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Mike Porcaro is one of my favorite bass players and is perhaps my biggest influences as I learned to play five string in a tasteful manner. He's got a pretty identifiable tone as well, best described as a kind of "pungggg" sound.

Some of my favorite tracks you should check out...

Mushanga - has a killer four part bass solo.

Animal - a very cool fat-sounding walking line.

Pamela - a VERY tight sounding, interesting blend of slap and walking

I Will Remember - very neat understated fretless swelling sound.