Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mike Porcaro

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Abr@hamBassBoy, Feb 6, 2003.

1. A friend of mine claims that Mike Porcaro is the greatest bassist in the world (The bassist in Toto)... I haven't heard very much from him... Is he any good?

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    IMO, he wasn't as "good" as the guy he replaced in Toto(David Hungate).

3. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    His brother Jeff has said that Mike has the best sense of time in the world...

Mike is a great 'for the song' type of bassist. I've never liked his tone.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Mike Porcaro is a great solid player, amazing groove and good sound.
    One of my favorite pop players.
    I saw Toto with Simon Phillips a few years back - great concert!
    Steve Lukather was SMOKIN'!!!
    Simon Phillips was great as ever, but I wish I could've seen them with Jeff.

5. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Great - another chance to show off my basses (both from Mike)
    :D
    Ripley 5-string
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Status Graphite 2000 4-string(sorry, the pic link died)

6. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Mike Porcaro is quite possibly the single greatest influence on me as a bass player. Not to mention his brother Jeff, one of the great groove drummers of all time.

What I learned from Mike Porcaro...

1. Tasteful use of the "B" string to really make those lowwwww notes really make a dramatic statement. He's really the first 5-string player I really appreciated.

2. The infamous "pung" tone - giving a clear bottom to countless recognizable pop hits. You can get a close approximation of this tone by boosting 400 Hz and digging in close to the bridge.

3. Tasteful use of slap, pop and walking combinations to propel a song. Check out the song "Pamela" or "Mushanga" on the TOTO album "The Seventh One" and you'll see what I mean.

4. His clean bottom end and classy fretless turns mellow tunes or ballads into hugely emotional and dramatic pieces. Listen to "I Will Remember" on the album "Tambu" or "I'll be Over You" On "Past To Present," both by TOTO and you'll see what I mean.

I'm sure I can come up with more. Let me know if you need more Mike Porcaro insight - I'm definitely a student of his work!

Lonnybass

7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Mike is good, very good.
    But, I like Hungate better.

8. I agree with JimK, I think Hungate was a better player, but I really didn't appreciate Porcaro until I saw him play with Toto live. Very solid.

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Toto has always been taking a lot of sh&t over the years.......but anybody that has seen them live or even heard the import live albums.........those guys can throw down!!!! I recently got a live DVD with Lukather, Simon Phillips & bassist John Pena recorded about ten years ago...just great! John Pena is another badass we don't hear to much about.

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

John Pena is well known in the L.A. studio scene and the Jazz scene as well! One of the better slappers around!

11. mcdonap

mcdonap

Sep 25, 2001
    Mike Porcaro is way up there on my list! Awesome player, and very tasteful. I think he tends to go for substance over style, and I really respect that. That's not to say he can't really tear it up if he wants to - "Can You Hear What I'm Saying" off of Past To Present comes to mind.

12. While I'm sure that Mike Porcaro is a fine bassist, Toad-O, as Zappa once referred to them, are possibly the definitive example of good musicians playing REALLY AWFUL MUSIC. Ick.

13. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    There are better musicians playing more awful music :)
    I like them, especially their newer stuff. Then again, I also like Level 42, Marcus Miller, Rush etc. so it must have something to do with my taste. :/

14. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Jerry,I actually got to see John Pena with Joe Sample and he was very in-the-pocket a truly wonderful player.

15. Mike Porcaro

David Hungate

Toto

Guuuuuuuuuuuud sheeeeee - it!!!!

Like their stuff, personally.

16. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    "Good musicians playing really awful music"

While you're certainly entitled to your opinion, (and so-called "music critics" never were fans of TOTO), I think it's decidely unfair to characterize TOTO music based on a couple radio hits from 1982.

For the record, the band has spent the past 20 years trying to get out of their record deal with Sony because they felt that the label consistently pushed songs that weren't truly representative of the group.

You might be surprised if you go beyond the "Africa"'s and Rosanna's and Hold The Line's of this world and check out some of their other stuff.

Lonnybass

17. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    Yeah, just check "Caught in the Balance" from their Mindfields CD.

18. "Hydra" would be a great example of that! Awsome stuff.

19. I have a handful of players who blow this cat out of the water.

20. audiotom

audiotom

May 31, 2005
    new orleans
    toto came from the nucleus of on demand la session players

Jeff Porcaro - Mike's brother was more famous
    and was one of only a few drummers who could give Fagen and Becker ultra precise time

tragically he died in the 80's from a pesticide poisoning

didn't like their fluff
    will have to check out the other

best bassist ever - hard to imagine