1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mike Rutherford of Genesis

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Mar 10, 2008.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I've been listening to a lot of Genesis lately (especially the older stuff), and I'm really starting to appreciate what Mike Rutherford added to the band. In addition to playing guitars later in the band, his basslines added quite a bit to their sound.

The song "No Reply at All" off of the album Abacab features some of his excellent fretless playing. I would highly recommend checking that track out if the opportunity arises.

2. chroma601

chroma601

Feb 16, 2007
    Sylva, NC
    I thought his work on "Spot the Pigeon" was astonishing!

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    "No Reply" has a fabulous bassline. Mike's bass is nice throughout Genesis.

Recently I've been listening to some post-Hacket Genesis records, "Abacab" and "And Then There were Three"; Rutherford's guitar style was hugely influenced by Hackett.

4. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I definately liked his bass stuff more before he became the principle gui**** in the band. :D

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Also, who could forget Mike and the Mechanics? ;)

6. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    I've always felt that was a great track, but I'm pretty sure it's not a fretless. It wasn't fretless in the video (although that doesn't mean anything) but it doesn't sound fretless at all to me. There's that one bend in the 2nd verse, but I'm pretty sure it's just a regular bend; not a fretless gliss.

Regardless, a great track! One of the bands' best ever, IMO.

7. For me it was all downhill after "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway."

8. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    Honestly, to me Genesis with Gabriel and Genesis without are two different bands that happen to have the same name and a lot of the same people. Whole different animals altogether, IMO.

And Gabriel is one of my favorite musicians of all time

9. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Rutherford has some of the longest fingers I've ever seen. :bassist:

10. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    The Knife, Return of the Giant Hogweed, Watcher of the Skies, all great stuff. I lost interest after ATTWT, but No Reply is indeed a great track. Great player.

11. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    There are a lot of descending slides that he throws in during the verse; there's one at about 2:09 that really sounds fretless to me. It's quite possible that I'm wrong, though. I often am. ;)

12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Wow. I find "A Trick Of The Tail" and "Wind & Wuthering" to be easily as good as the uneven "Lamb". Have you even heard the four-piece Genesis?

13. I have everything the band did up to ABACAB. After that it just became too saccharine. I find the earlier body of work more creative and interesting but that is just my opinion. I thought "Blood On The Rooftops" was genius but I wonder how much of that was Hackett's influence.

14. Rutherford has some really great tone in the early stuff too. It was at the same time powerful and fit nicely into the space that was available with all the drums and keyboards and assorted craziness.

15. I pretty much like most Genesis music I've heard eventhough their sound began changing significantly when Steve Hackett left. They are all great songwriters and musicians, and Mike had some shining moments on the bass. The Genesis In Concert DVD that comes with A Trick of The Tail is one of my favorite music DVDs.

16. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    There's a DVD that comes with Trick of the Tail? Gotta see that. My only copy of Tail is the original vinyl.

17. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    Los Endos off of Trick of the Tail is a tune with a great bassline. Very hard to play accurately at the speed they play it at.

18. ducknturtle

ducknturtle

Dec 28, 2006
    New Jersey
    Fabulous bass player with a completely unique sound and style. Most people love and remember Gabriel's contribution to Genesis, but Mike Rutherford, plus Collins, Hackett and Banks, were all equally important.

19. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Mike Rutherford was also hugely responsible for much of the band's live sound back in the Gabriel era. In addition to bass, he also added a lot of guitar and simultaneously played bass pedals as well. He was a busy man on stage way back then!

He's one of my all-time favorites.

20. Gubna

Gubna

Oct 21, 2006
    San Francisco
    If only Steve hadn't left. some of the music they made with him is some of my favorite...