Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mike Rutherford on "In the Cage"!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by SubEndSorcerer, Jan 1, 2005.

1. SubEndSorcerer

SubEndSorcerer

Nov 27, 2004
    Oh my there is some serious playing on this song. Check out the middle to end when he really starts burning it up. I'm a recent Genesis fan, but when I heard these basslines I had to keep rewinding because I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I just wish they would've brought the bass up in the mix though...but I'm content with how it is. He's like a madman on this song. :bassist:

2. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    A fantastic performance and one of my all-time favorite cuts from one of my all-time favorite albums (whichever one that may be. I see to have confused Cage with Supper's Ready. D-Oh!). He also makes killer use of the old Taurus pedals!

3. I'd love to hear the version of Seconds Out that has In the Cage on it... surely you're thinking of Three Sides Live?

This was a landmark of Rutherford's "trebly" bass tone, the one he used to cut through the din of Banks' synths and Collins' cymbals. (Hackett's guitar tone wasn't quite so top-heavy at the time.) Quite possibly my favorite bass moment on The Lamb, right up there with the riff in the title song and his work in The Colony Of Slippermen.

4. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    I happened to be listening to Seconds out right now for the first time, what a coincidence.
    But my copy has no song titles.. just track #'s

What track# is in the cage, and cd1 or 2?

5. Folmeister

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Yes, I am. I made a terrible mistake, SORRY ALL. I will now go flog myself with a copy of And Then There Were Three . I probably got that one wrong too!

6. SubEndSorcerer

SubEndSorcerer

Nov 27, 2004
    Didn't he play a Rick on LLDOB? I wish I could get a good cutting sound like that with my Precision. :crying: I'm still trying to figure out what he's playing. It's just so fast. Faster that anything I've learned to play so far. I'm no good at reading music. Perhaps one day I'll learn to read notation.

7. Folmeister

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    D'Oh!!!

8. there's an interview with Mike Rutherford in the current Bass Guitar Magazine (the UK one)-
    he says he used a Microfrets bass on LLDOB.

some old interviews archived on the Shergold site-

http://www.shergold.co.uk/beat77.html

9. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Rutherford is a very underrated bassist.

10. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Why won't they re-issue Three Sides Live? :( I want it!

11. Actually, I would use Calling All Stations for that purpose...

and then, never on myself.

Having heard it once or twice, I would certainly never listen to it again.

Invisible Touch would do if my copy of CAS got too much blood on it.

12. mnadelin

mnadelin

Apr 6, 2003
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I've also always said he was an underrated bassist. I even thought it was cool on musical box how he used to play just guitar and bass pedals.