1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mike Rutherford tone in "Get Em' Out By Friday"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Steve pierce, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Steve pierce

Steve pierce

Sep 28, 2017
    Good evening all. Just seeing if anyone knows how to achieve something similar to Mike's tone in that song. I realize the obvious answer is "get a rick", but I have my 4003 sitting beside me with the vintage switch pulled and I have gotten very little results. There is just something so sharp yet balanced with his tone in this song, in ways I haven't heard in any Rick, and I will be goddamned if I let it slip from my fingers. Maybe someone knows what his rig was for this song? Equipboard offers little help and Mike has such a diversity throughout "Foxtrot" alone. Any eq tips to get that clear balanced tone? Thanks so much, cheers y'all.

Indiedog likes this.
  2. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    An excellent question that unfortunately I cannot answer. But because I am interested, I am chiming in so i too can get the answer! That bass tone really is special.

Steve pierce likes this.
  3. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    Mike used a Rickenbacker 4001S bass (called an RM1999, because Rose Morris imported it into the UK, but the same instrument as any other 4001S). This was a mono 4001 bass with a toaster and horseshoe pickup set. these are brighter, lower output pickups than your 4003 likely has.

I'm pretty sure Genesis used Hiwatt gear, so it is likely he used a Hiwatt head and cab in the studio, maybe mixed in with a DI signal to taste? Roundwound strings and a pick are vital elements of that tone as well.

Steve pierce likes this.