Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mike tobias - wow

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IvanMike, Sep 24, 2003.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    ok i admit it, i covet an mtd 535
    i have to say, i've been fortunate enough to play a bunch of mtd basses and wow is that guy on the right track
    i was lucky anough to purchase used tobias #474 (4 string) and it is the axe for me
    mike certainly knows how to make a bass responsive to the woods used in it as every combination i have played in mtd's sounds markedly different
    fwiw, i would rather have a wenge neck than maple as wenge seems to add a lot more clarity to his basses
    so far the coolest i have played have been his wenge neck/korina body basses - unbelivebale punch and, um, balls
    recently i got to try 2 new 535s in the late 900 serial #s at G guitars in new haven ct (great shop) one ws ash/wenge and the othe rwas tulipwood/wenge - both had exotic tops too
    the ash had zing and presence for days but i preferred the punchy and "fuller" sound of the tulipwood
    boy does this guy build the best
    hmmmmmmm anyone wanna lend me 3 grand?

2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Wenge you say? This one has had some war wounds, but it is KILLER!

PS, they can be had under 3k, you just have to wait for them to be run over first :D

[​IMG]

3. Stingray4Christ

Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    NY
    Small world, I have relatives in New Haven. I have to agree that MTD's are awesome. I really like the Norm Stockton model.

4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    yeah,,,just wait for somehting to happen to them..lol

and hey tim you need to fix your profile...o wait so do i..lol

steve

5. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    honestly, i cant reccomend g guitars enough
    they have an unbelivable selection of high end basses and do a lot of out of state buisiness
    plus, their website lets you tour the shop and see what is currently available

www.gguitars.com

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

My MTD 535 is my favorite player: fits me like a glove; I don't even notice that it's 35" scale. Preamp is awesome: all kinds of great tones. The the woods and finish are top notch. I got it used for $2200: minor playing wear, a couple of dents on the outside bottom edge that aren't through the finish and aren't noticeable from the front.

Also, Mike Tobias gives great customer service.

FWIW, I've bought basses from GGuitars, Bass Northwest, and Bass Central... I'm very happy with all three.

7. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    And the Kingstons and Saratogas kill for the price :eek:

8. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I have a 635 and this bass covers all the different types of gigs that I play and I have to agree with IvanMike the tulipwood does have a fuller sound than the ash however I chose to go with a mapleneck/rosewood fingeboard which gives it a real,real good Fender Jazz tone.The bass is very comfortable and very player friendly.:oops:

9. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    [​IMG]

Picked it up for $2350 in mint condition and yes it does kick butt!

10. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    now that's a beautiful thing guru........
    hmmmmmmmm, i wonder how much i could get for my kids if i sold them to finance a 535..........

11. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Yep, I agree with your comments on Mike's MTDs. The articulate and punchy B string on this baby is what I use to judge Bs on all other basses. :D

Don't sell the kids! if you keep them, you can make them work and generate income for you when they get older.;)

12. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I was just thinking the same thing :( :meh:

13. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

ohhh.

me too,

:bawl:

at least they can sell them when I die,
    it's my cash after all ...

14. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

ANB
    TCole

I sit here looking at this beautiful
    bass, and wonder,

Fretboard

ALL THE WAY DOWN TO THE PICKUP

sorry, I was at the Rhode Island School of Design
    Museum in Providence faculy art show opening last night , and the artist mind got really pumped!

Then my son showed up with his black shoes painted weird colors with latex paint.

Bless him ...

Sow and yee shall reap ...

I gotta do more art,
    right after the AC Cobra I want.

15. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio

??????? Ya lost me.....what was the question?????

16. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA

I hear ya man. I felt the same way until late last year, when Gard "made" me buy a 535. ;)

Yowza!!! What a phenominal instrument! Mine's tulipwood with a wenge neck and wenge fingerboard and I've yet to find anything else that sounds better to me for the types of music I play.

Yeppers........ Mike T. is definately "Da Man"!

BTW, you might not have to spend $3K for a new one. Have you checked Bass Central? PM Gard for more info.

17. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Dude, nice avatar!

18. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
  19. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    What's with no-one mentioning the Korean or Czech MTDs? Of course Mikey's work culminates on the top-of-the-line American MTDs, but besides the actual building the basses there's also the designing part, and when it comes to building to a certain price point it's even more difficult!

As we talked with Jan-Olof Strandberg(who is behind importing MTD's to Finland) last night, Mikey T has actively taken part in building methods and quality of his Korean partners, it's not just that he sends drawings to them with a note saying "build me an axe that looks like this".

I think Mike Tobias is successful as both, a craftsman and an instrument designer, which results to a balance that really separates him from the other builders.

20. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i really wish the heir was available as a 6-string, as i'll never be able to afford a usa-model 6er:(