Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mike Watt Performance Pic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boogiebass, Jul 17, 2001.

1. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Anybody notice that cool Gibson Les Paul Signature bass Watt is playing in the featured interview? I happen to own of those babies and they're very cool basses. Watt has taken the pickguard off his. Notice that bass has two jacks, one on top and one on the edge. Lo and Hi impedence options. The Gibson had the round knob for selecting impedence, BTW, whereas the Epi Casady has a chicken head knob. Makes it easy to pick 'em out without seeing the headstock, especially with the pickguard removed (the Epi has their symbol on the guard). Anyway, I noticed all of the pics in the interview show him with Gibsons.

2. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    wonderful bass. and the casady seems to be quite good too. hope to try one.

3. Boogie, I must admit that at first I was fooled into thinking it was a Casady, but, I realized it was an LP Signature when I didn't see the 3 way switch. Check out the current Casady thread; Max V. had to have his pickup replaced, and he said his tone is not the same. Someone must pay!

Barroso, come stai, paisano? Io mangio melanzzane
    parmigiano adesso. Que cosa buono!

Mike J.

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Right you are, Mikey! But the LP Signature DID have the 3 way switch, it just has a round knob where the Jackbass has a chicken-head knob. Same basic deal. If you read Jack's interview on the Epi site, you know that the Gibson has a mellower (Jack calls it "muddier") tone than the Jackbass we know and love. Tone-wise, the Jackbass rules, thanks to Jack's efforts in pickup design, for the most part. But the old LP Sigs are great basses and quite beautiful...and quite expensive since they are rare these days! I think they made less than a thousand of them total from roughly '74 to '78. The Les Paul book gives the exact production totals and it seems to me it was in the 900's. Mine is a '74 and in near mint condition with original case. Oh yeah...

5. Yes Boogie, I did read that article, someone posted a link to it a while ago.(I think it was NotDuane)
    I mentioned this before, but, I'll say it again; In my 1977 Gibson catalog, The Les Paul Signature bass
    LISTED for $499.00!

If we had only known!

Mike J.

6. that's a really cool interview on the epiphone site, i didn't know he was from DC!

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yup. Good luck touching one for less than $2K nowadays.

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Feast yer eyes on this here beaut, my '74 Les Paul Signature:

[​IMG]

and here's the back. Check out that grain!

[​IMG]

9. Hey Boogie, I've always been partial to mahogany and that does look good. My Casady's got a sunburst finish front and back so I can't see any grain on my bass. Just think; if they made less than
    a thousand in about five years, that's about sixteen per month. That's rare. I still don't know how to post pictures online yet, but when I do, I've got some good ones.

Later,
    Mike J.

10. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    a wonderful bass. hope the guys that think gibson basses are not so good see that picture and maybe try one before speaking

11. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Mike is so cool, met him in 1990 in New Orlean at a gig, he hung out with me on the steps of someones house at 3 am and signed my old Fender Jazz and talked bass with me for ever. Very cool indeed!