mike watt question

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by narcopolo, Oct 1, 2005.

1. narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    i always hear about how awesome he is, but he's been on a whole lot of stuff.
    where should i start for good bass examples?
  2. Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    "Double Nickels on the Dime" album by the Minutemen is probably Mike at his peak. Good music in general. Very tight and interesting rhythm section. When Mike and George Hurley link up it's very nice.
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    The "Double Nickels on the Dime" album by the Minutemen. Sweet playing on that, but that's his early stuff. His latest release "Secondman's Middle Stand" by Mike Watt and the Secondmen is amazing. If you want classic... Nickels, it also shows where he came from, but if you want to hear his current musical status, get his secondmen album.
  4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    bah, futurebass beat me.
  5. "Double Nickels" should definitely be your first stop, and from there, move on to fIREHOSE's "Ragin', Full On" and "Flyin' The Flannel." The bass duet albums he made with Kira Roessler under the name Dos are great if you can find them.. a lot of the songs are early sketches of what would later become fIREHOSE tunes. Hearing them done solely on bass really illuminates how essential Watt's bass is in everything he's done. Of his solo albums, "Contemplating The Engine Room" is my favorite.
  6. I'd like to second the vote for "Ragin, Full On"
  7. His latest cd: "The Secondman's Middle Stand" is pretty good too...
  8. Basically, everyones got it covered for the Wattage recommendations.

Check out 'Ballhog or Tugboat', its a real sweet Watt record with about a million guest stars.
  9. Another great Watt cd and often overlooked is: BOOTSTRAPPERS (with George Hurley and Elliot #)