Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Miked kick drum through bass amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nigel, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Nigel

Nigel

Sep 16, 2004
    Denmark
    Can it be done? Is it harmful to the amp?

The reason why I'm asking is that the PA system we use in my band are only suitable for amplifying vocals.
    The drummer asked me if he could put his kick drum, miked, through my bass amp, so I'd like to check with you guys to hear if it's possible (and feasible).
    The idea is that both kick drum and bass should go though the same amp simultaneously.

My amp is a GK 700rb-I. If I were to do it, I would likely use my behringer UB-802 mixer, plug kick mic and bass into 2 inputs and route the main out to the input on the bass amp. Other option is to plug bass in input on bass amp and route kick mic to effects return on bass amp via some sort of preamp.

Am I risking damage to my amp by doing this? Maybe put a limiter on the kick mic to tame peaks?

2. broadstone

broadstone

Feb 21, 2006
    Boone, NC
    Though there are those on here far more qualified than I to give you an answer these things jump to my mind first.

You would want to use a limiter for sure, for that matter anytime you mic a kick drum you should use one to lessen the chance of blowing a speaker.

Here is an on stage thought, do you think you can regulate both the bass and kick drum enough that you can hear the difference between the 2 "out in the crowd" and "on stage"? You might be able to out in the crowd but what happens when on stage and the night wears on and your ears get a little muddy and you turn your bass up a little more to hear your licks as most of us tend to do after playing for a few hours? That is going kick your balance that you had out of whack thus making the need to turn the kick up more and then you have the same problem that you had before you turned it up.

Again just a few points to ponder, I too will be intrested in seeing what others have to say about it.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You can do it but after a song or two you'll have had enough of it. PA upgrade is really the only option.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    a - freaking - men.

Honestly, I've done a lot of gigs with kits that were miked up, and ones that were not. And I've done a lot of sound. Drums are LOUD. I really haven't seen the need to amplify drums except in some of the bigger venues.

5. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Don't do it.

Either the PA can hack it, or the drummer can live without it.
    Putting a mic on his already loud bass drum isn't nearly as important as you having good tone.

It sounds selfish, but don't share. :)

6. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

sounds like a bad idea. new heads might make his kick a little louder. don't port, or muffle.

7. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    He'll want more kick & you'll want less. Better to say know to the whole idea.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    +1

besides, the transients of the bass drum are MUCH faster and harder hitting than a bass guitar. if he's got some massive footstompin', he'll blow it out after 2-3 songs. a compressor will help things, but he'll only complain that there's not punch to his kick.

just say no!

9. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I think that you should ask the drummer to buy a kick drum amp, then allow you to use it to amplify your bass also.

:bag:

10. Chriso21

Chriso21

Jan 15, 2006
    our drummer hits his skins HARD - i mean real hard. He is not a small fella and after 3 or so heavy songs, he'll be a drenched sweaty caveman. He also has begun to master the double pedal and its so loud even when not running through the PA that it drowns out the vocals, guitar and bass. We did port the bass drum, so I think we will have to tape it up or something - or make the hole tiny.
    Does anyone know the best way to mike up drums to integrate them well into the mix?
    cj

11. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI

Stick a drum mic in the hole. It the mic is close to his beaters there will be a different tone than if the mic was near the port opening...mess around with it and see what sound you like better.

12. SubMonkey

SubMonkey

May 3, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Yah,... what Kael said.....

*** is with drummers and singers that they (generally speaking) seem to think the rest of the band has a duty to support their function ?.

13. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    As a drummer, let me just give an immense +1 to everyone who has told you not to do this. It probably won't sound very good and you already have more kick drum than you really need.

There is little need to mic most of the drumset. The kick drum is one of the biggest contributors to deafening stage volume that muddies things up for everyone else and unless you're playing outside or in a gargantuan room (in which case you'll need to do the whole kit), forget about it.

14. ummmm...that's what drummers and bassists are supposed to do...

15. Blues Cat

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Definitley leave a small port in the front head for miking unless it's a jazz trio or the Max Weinberg 7.

Your drummer needs a drumsheild if he's hitting that hard. I bet he's wacking his chinas 6 feet away from your ears "Monkey Business" style. "Look mom, all the cymbals are moving!" kind of drummer.

Wear ear plugs!

16. Blues Cat

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    One more thing OT.
    If you can see your drummer's face through the bottom of the toms when you're sitting directly in front of him, he's probably gunna suck.

17. that's great! But only partially true. My best friend(drummer) has most his toms set flat, or slightly tilted back, but right now his 16 and 18 are pretty much mounted with the heads tight at him.

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    that's for the soundman forum. ;)

but taping up the hole isnt gonna make his bass any more quiet, unless you stuff the dickens outta the bass with as much pillowing and blankets as you can find.

19. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

you invested in a nice amp. Right? He can go buy himself a powered sub. Problem solved

Rob

20. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Wow I can't believe some of you guys are saying theres no need to mic the kick. Any drummer I've played with whether or not the drums are mic'ed the kick drum always has a mic in front of it. That was the same back when we ran a small 1000 watt rig. I've found it to be the one bit of a kit that lacks enough volume. Right now we always run the kit mic'ed to get a balanced sound out of the PA.

Strangely enough one of the drummers I used to play with used an electronic kick with an acoustic kit and put it through a bass amp as a monitor. He used a trace elliot commando for that. Again the signal from his processor was
    sent to FOH) It worked for him grand but Im sure it would be different for miced acoustic kick. Limiters compressors gates and all that are pretty essential when micing drums.

Although I would agree, go for the PA upgrade.