Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mikey Savino

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by anonymous0726, Jun 25, 2004.

1. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    We have a silent member of TB that we need to get talking...

Mike Savino, a great bass player here in the NYC arena, has been lurking. He's also looking for a bass. His story is that he tripped across TB while on a bass hunt, had to register to see what he wanted to see, and has been since spying on us.

Everyone say hey!

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Does he want to buy my bass?

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I think he's available in the $7K range and pretty close to the $10K range if the right fiddle pops up.

4. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    There's no way I'm paying 7 grand for a bass player.

Welcome to TB Mike. :)

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Perhaps I should have said 'able' or something... He is pretty cute, though, and I doubt that he eats much. I can also just about swear that he's potty trained.

6. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Hey!! My sax player friend is still looking for a buyer for my old Juzek c.1930's. Around $6500.

Details and pics
    here.

Currently a four string, but can be easily converted to a 5 string with a ne nut and bridge.

If I wasn't jobless, I'd buy it back to keep as a second bass. It sounds great. Scott Reed on this forum said it looked and sounded like Sam Jones Juzek.

Monte

7. Savino

Savino

Jun 2, 2004
    nyc
    hey boys
    i am potty trained, thanks ray. although i do have the occasional slip up. but dont we all.
    the truth is i am currently bassless in new york. i had to sell my juzek because of a reoccuring neck breaking ordeal. i didnt want to invest the 2 grand to get it back to what i originally had, so i figured id take the money and look for a new wife. im looking for something with a sweet arco sound and a singing pizz. i was referred to christian laborie by francois rabbath. apparently he designed an inexpensive quenoil type bass called the "q" bass. i beleive george vance has some down in maryland. anyone have any experience or info on this?

8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
  9. Gday,
    Im from Australia and have had a chance to play one of the Q basses. They are a extremly good bass for the small price tag. I really liked the action and setup that was on the bass i played.

In terms of cost i think they would be around US $6000 but the place to look in the US would be with George Vance like Savino said. http://www.slavapub.net/instruments/basses.html is where i would head to check them out in the US.

Cheers alex