1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mikey Way vs. PJ Mustang Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sigmafloyd, Jan 19, 2017.

1. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

May 1, 2011
    Hey all. I'm wondering, for those of you who have tried both of these, what you like/dislike about each. I have the Mikey Way bass and really really like it, I just prefer the look of the Sonic Blue PJ.

Thanks

2. ScarfFace

ScarfFace Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2014
    La Crosse WI
    I have owned the Mikey Way and played the PJ Mustang. To me, the PJ felt MUCH more solid well built. I didnt plug it in though, so I cant comment on tone. It felt great, though.

sigmafloyd likes this.
  3. I had a Milky Way briefly, and spent nearly as much time playing the new PJ in the store. I think the PJ is capable of a wider range of tones, but I didn't find it vastly superior in build quality, I thought they were pretty similar. From a strictly subjective perspective, I wasn't a fan of the Squier's finish (actually, it was mostly the stripes that I didn't like,) but I preferred the tone of that beefy little humbucker.

Keep in mind that my handling of the two was about 8 months apart - it would be great to do a direct comparison of their tone with both on hand at the same time...

4. fghtffyrdmns

fghtffyrdmns

Oct 22, 2012
    I tried them back to back, and ended up walking out with the Mikey Way. The neck felt way better, and the humbucker sounds killer.

Sound&Fury likes this.
  5. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA

Recently? The Mikey Way has been discontinued for a while, and the P/J just came out in Oct. '16.

Never tried the MW, but I'm a big fan of the P/J.
    I like the sonic variety, and it's got plenty of beef, without throwing mud.

6. fghtffyrdmns

fghtffyrdmns

Oct 22, 2012
    Yeah, a local shop had a Mikey Way in stock about a month ago, new, right after they got in a PJ also. I thought for sure going into it that I'd like the PJ more, but in the end, the MW surprised me.

7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I have owned the Mikey Way and found it to be surprisingly heavy for a bass with its body design. Spec weight on the site is 8 pounds, 12 ounces and it felt like it.

It was definitely heavier than my Squier Bronco with the Gretsch humbucker, even though the body styles are essentially identical.

Nice bass, really liked the humbucker pickup, but sold it after a while because I have other basses with comparable sound. To me, the metalflake was a big plus.

8. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    Have both and much prefer the Fender PJ Mustang , the Mikey Way is not a bad bass and the humbucker is quite beefy sounding but the Fender sounds better to my ears and the fit and finish on the Fender is much better , the other thing is that with the Mikey way unless i use a fairly heavy E string (.110 gauge) the E is a bit flabby and woofy sounding, the humbucker is fairly dark sounding so this does not help matters