Mikey Welsh vs. Matt Sharp

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, May 25, 2001.

1. Yup, another "vs." thread. But seriously, who do you guys like better? Yeah Mikey replaced Matt a while back. I'm still debating on who i like better, but right now I think I like Matt's playing better. Although really simplistic, i love the bassline for "only in dreams"
  2. I loved Matt Sharps work, it is simple stuff, but nothing has to be complicated to sound good, only in dreams is the first bass line I learned.

I have to say at this point Sharp is winning, Welsh has yet to prove himself.

Also I don't think Mikey is as invovled in the creative process as Matt was
  3. Hands down Matt. They are close skill wise, but when comparing who is a better fit with Weezer Matt blows Mikey away. Matt had the perfect geek attitude had some awesome vocals and was involved more in the creative process. Granted Mikey is good and has huge shoes to fill so I will be easy, but Matt is better for Weezer and probably slightly better as a bass player too.
  4. matt. simple, clean, only in dreams is a classic. i think that these three things are going to be repeated many times in this thread.

does anyone notice how much mikey seems to slide? or is it just me?
  5. brianmc

Jun 7, 2001
    roswell, nm
    hey, you guys! rivers wrote all of the songs entirely, nobody else had a hand in the creative process than him! they all sed so in CMJ new music and rolling stone. only pat, the drummer, has ever shared credit with writing a weezer song, only 2 songs.

6. Yeah but Sharp added those sweet falsetto vocals, and is a proven songwriter with his rentals work, when rivers was trying to overcome his writers block he sought out only Sharp to work with because of his talent. Welsh seems to be just a rootnote player which is fine, but he is not more valuable to the band in different areas like Sharp was.
  7. RockFiend

Aug 23, 2000
    i have to agree with Mikey 96 besides the bass playing factor, Sharp added those falsettos,,,,, those falsettos are key,,,, the basslines well wait ffor the next weezer album to test Mikey's skill,,, I think image wise that both boys fit the bill tho everyone's nostalgic will almost always like the old guy better jsut give mikey time,,, the only case i can think of that the new guy wins in these versus battles is Phil Collins over PEter Gabriel in Genesis, (even tho Peter is better!!!!!) but thats not even bass-related so i'm goin to stop talking
  8. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Could someone tell me the bass Matt Sharp is playing in the "undone - the sweater song" video?
  9. RockFiend

Aug 23, 2000
    agyeman if u could find a pic i/we could probably help ya out,,, my memory isn't good enuf to remember that video
  10. Matt Sharp just because I love his falsettos!! Mikey can strike a good pose (anyone see the MTV movie awards?), but all in all, I'd say Matt.
  11. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    You can see the video here - http://www.farmclub.com/watch/videovault/me/vv_redirect?video_id=601 :)

I don't have a fast connection at home, so i will take a screenshot at college tommorow, and see if i can get a clean picture of it.

I saw this video on mtv2 last week, and caught a small look at the bass, i just really want to know what make / model it is so i can get a good look at it.