1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mikie needie somie wiringie.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike Money, Jun 2, 2004.

  1. Mike Money

    Mike Money Banned

    Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Eh. ya.

    OK, I want to condense my sound system...

    I want to run my CD changer through the same speakers as my computer...

    The CD changer is a sony 300 disk changer... maybe a year 2000 model... It has only one output to the amplifier...

    or something.

    But, anyways. Without a new sound card... How could i set it so i can run my pc sound and my CD changer through my PC speakers?
  2. Nick man

    Nick man

    Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Here's my suggestion....

    Dump the CD changer.

    If you have enough space on your hard drive I recommend getting a good music playing program like iTunes (free) and uploading all of your CD's to your computer and just use that as your digital jukebox.

    With iTunes you can setup different playlist and have all your CDs cycle through all their songs at random or select which songs you dont want to play very easily. It can even help you setup smart playlist according to ratings or how often you select certain songs. There is also a built in graphic EQ with a bunch of presets and you can edit them or create new ones from scratch. One big plus is that you dont have that anoying gap between music while the changer switches CDs.

    Right now I have 1818 songs on my iTunes library and it takes up 6.87 gigs of space. I could probably use less if I converted the files to a smaller size since some of them arent MP3 but are larger formats instead. That should give you an idea of how much space you can save.

    Your other option is to go to radio shack and find some apropriate adapters. Im guessing you'll need a plug that goes from two RCA female to one 1/8" stereo male. You could plug that into the soundcard of your computer if you have an open audio input on your soundcard, or you could connect that to a two 1/8" stereo female to one 1/8" stereo male and have the computer's output hooked up to the same input. Of course thats just assuming your system has similar connections to mine.

  3. Eyescream


    Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    That's what I ended up doing. Put my CDs on a partition I made just for that, and I'm running everything from my computer through this Pioneer home system Amp/AM-FM Tuner to a nice set of speakers. I'm extremely happy with this arrangement.
  4. Mike Money

    Mike Money Banned

    Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    figured it out.

    drop the pc speakers....

    run my pc audio through my surround sound hook up.

    i went to radio shack. just for that idea to dawn upon me as i was talking to the dude. meh.
  5. DigMe


    Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    If your current sound card doesn't support surround sound then spend the 23 bucks on this sound card. Bang for buck factor doesn't get better than that and it has digital optical output. I got one for my brother for Christmas and it sounds great for his primary media/entertainment center surround sound. It's highly rated too.

    brad cook

    Edit: Free shipping too...
  6. Mike Money

    Mike Money Banned

    Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I just took the cord with the 1/8 and the red and white ends out of my pc speakers, ran that into my stereo's surround sound hook up just like it was my regular pc sound set up, then i still have the phono set to run my cd's into. w00t. i win.