Miking Cabs

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by creaturecalm, Dec 26, 2004.

1. Hey all, I got some questions regarding the miking of cabs for recording. First off, what is the best mike? I've heard people use something as basic as an sm57 and then others swear by more bass specific mikes. Is there a few mikes that are perfect for getting that low end and at the same time some of the higher tone and punch. I have an old acoustic long throw cabinet, reverse folded horn, 18" speaker. My theory on this is that I should place one mike right up on the grill cloth and another something like fifteen feet away. My breakfast is getting cold, any thoughts....
  2. The mic that I find that gives the best sound is an Audix d6. I like to put it right infront of the speaker and then mix that with a direct sound from my amp as well.

If the only speaker in your setup though is an 18" I really don't think that you're gonna find it to have the best sound. I would say at that point just to go with a direct sound. Get a nice Direct Box, a Country Man DI or an Aguilar DI.
  3. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Great mic. I've gotten to use one a few times and I've always been happy with it. I think I'm gonna buy one tomorrow with Xmas money...

I also agree that I'd go direct with your setup, or mix the direct and mic'd signals.
  4. wwittman

Apr 21, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Do you LIKE the sound that you get from your Acoustic cab (with whatever amp you're using)?
    If the answer is 'yes' then forget the DI and find the way to capture that sound that you LIKE.

Those folded horn types really do take some distance to develop the sound, but if your room is quiet enough, try just backing off about 6 feet in front and see what you get.
    Right down almost touching the floor is often a good place for the mic, especially if you have a hard floor.

I almost always use either Shure SM-7 (NOT SM-57 which I wouldn't use for anything) or ElectroVoice RE-20.

I also happen to prefer single 18's or 15's for recording bass.... but you may find that you need to make the amp toppier than you might for live work in order to get the bass guitar to cut on the record, as the mic 'hears' it.
    Some experimentation is in order.
    But again, if you have something unique that you love, learn to get THAT happening, not to bland out your cool unique box and make it sound like a close mic'ed Hartke 4x10.

William Wittman
    (Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, Hooters, The Fixx, The Oufield)
  5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I haven't found ANYTHING that doesn't sound good recorded with a Groove Tubes GT-55 mic. I mean anything. It isn't a tube mic; it uses FETs.

It's not really a 'transparent'-sounding mic; it has a certain little brittleness to it. It's pretty ultimate for vocals, but I mic my bass cab with it too. I tried to use it on our guitarist's amp, but he'd have none of it - he likes that SM-58 sound.

Strong endorsement here for the GT-55!

6. EV RE-20 or Sennheiser 421
  7. slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    I've been happy with (in order of preference):

Sennheiser 409 (discontinued, i have not tried the 609)
    EV RE-20
    Sennheiser 421
    AKG D112
  8. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    The RE20 and the 421 (and the Shure SM7) are standards for damned good reasons. I'll also use Royer R-121s and Neumann TLM103s, but that's a whole other price category. Any of the large diaphragm dynamics listed above will work great.
  9. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    I too am a GT fan. In fact I really dig all of their mikes. Even back when Alesis was selling them they were cool. I would love to get a 55 some time.

I like the old AKG D12, vintage kind of sound, but cool. Also like the SM7.

All the others are cool too, get anything on this list and you will proboble be happy. Mic placement in my mind can be far more important than mic choice. Just don't use a ribbon!
  10. Ditto!

The Audix D6 has a scooped mid range....... designed for kick drum but, some bassist love that sound!:meh:

11. I've heard that an SM-57 and the D6 together are a good combination, with the D6 capturing the low end and the SM-57 picking up the midrange and "bite".
  12. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    I'd love to try an Audix D6!

on my last live recording...we used the AKG C4000 B and two DI's...in the end we eliminated the DI's and only kept the AKG tracks. It's a great sounding mic for bass cabs.

13. kristoffer

Jul 8, 2004
    My band is currently recording our second album, and we have used a AKG D112, a SHURE Beta 52, a AKG C4000 B and two DI's. The D112 and the C4000 works really great together. I have also used a SHURE SM7 with a great result.

14. Hey thanks alot you guys, definitely got some ideas to work with now. Thanks again.
  15. [SD]

Feb 24, 2004
    hi, i'm gonan record my bass soon in my band and i was thinking of using a beta52 and the signal from my amp, but now that i see you use de c4000. We've got a c3000, so how do u guys set it up?

the bass drum mic close to the cone and the condenser mic far away like it's done for guitars?