1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Miking Schoeder Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jacostilllives, Mar 5, 2008.

1. jacostilllives

jacostilllives

May 4, 2004
    Hey all, I'm about to be going into the studio to records some tracks for my bands demo and I'm wondering what you guys suggest for miking a Schroeder cab since it has the folder 12" speakers. I want to get the entire sound of the cab not just the 10's. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to achieve this? Thanks to all in advance for your answers.

2. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    USA
    Take off the screen and use two microphones?

3. jacostilllives

jacostilllives

May 4, 2004
    I thought of that but i heard somewhere that for miking bass cabs you don't want to keep the mics right up against the speakers? I don't know much about mic set up for recording.

4. didier

didier

Aug 4, 2005
    NC
    you can get some very different sounds depending on where the mics are placed, and the best way to find out is to experiment. But if you're goping into a studio there is a good chance that someone working in the studio will have some experience, and some good ideas. That can save time (and $.)

It's unlikely that you'll notice the 10's overpowering the 12 unless the mic is set-up very close and facing directly in to the 10. The further back you get from the cab (within reason, like a couple of feeet, not the other end of an auditorium) the more "natural" the sound might be, but that can introduce other things you or the engineer might not like. It depends alot of what kind of sound you're going for, and what kind of music... everything, really.

I always like to do a mic and a direct, then you'll have two pretty different signals to play with. Two mics, one close, one far or off axis, and direct would be nice, I suppose, but maybe too much to deal with, esp for a demo.

Bottom line, if there is someone there with experience, try to ask and learn.

5. jacostilllives

jacostilllives

May 4, 2004
    Thanks for the help! Yea the "engineer" is my guitarist who knows what sounds good for guitar but the only thing he knows about bass is from what others have told him. Every other time I have recorded I have had a real engineer set it up but i never really payed super close attention to what he was doing. So this is going to be a trial and error thing. I'll try what you suggested but im thinking im just going to have to figure it out on the fly. Thanks for your help. Peace!

Alex

6. Hey didier,

I goped during a session once and the engineer threw me out! Go figure!!!

All good advice. Two mics, maybe. One mic aimed at an angle so that it picks up the 10 and 12 equally.

If you have the time (studio time can be costly) experiment.

Also, different mics have very different voices.

Good luck. Or should I say "break a leg"?

Later, Kirk

7. I would (and have) mic the cab and then set up a seperate channel mic on a boom stand at a distance where its the "sweetspot" --> you play have someone move the boom around and wait for the thumbs up..

recording 3-channels at once-> line out, cab and area

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I tend to put the mic about 10-12" back, in an area that gets the front speeks, the side loaded speeks, and the horn.
    I also run a direct line, and a feed from my preamp.
    The engineer can then blend the three signals later.

You might want to call Jorg Schroeder himself, and see what he recommends.