Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Miking your bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JP Bassman, Dec 15, 2001.

1. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    Hi yall
    How exactly does miking the bass when recording work? Do you just like stick a mike infront of the strings, or what? I've heard Justin Chancellor (tool) uses this method and I'm positive that's the root behind alot of the cool crunch sounds he makes when not using effects pedals.

thanks

2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    wow ive never heard of miking the strings on an electric bass. I've heard of that on an acoustic but thats it. Hmm maybe i'll try it, but you'd need a damn sensitive mic. Usually bassists either go a direct box, or an amp modoler, or actually put a bass mic in front of your cab. I think your supposed to use like a kickdrum mic, or another low end istrument. Ive never seen a specific bass amp mic.

3. lol, you mic the cab, not the bass. as opposed to going direct to the mixing board.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I always go direct. Maybe use Antares Mic Modeler or Sonic Foundry Acoustic Mirror to emulate a mic.

5. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I think most companies that make microphones have a line dedicated to being used as bass mics. In fact, there was just a write-up in the January 2002 issue of Guitar World magazine, about AKG's Emotion line of mics. Here's the important stuff: "The Emotion series also features two new instrument microphones. The first is the D550 dynamic model, which has a frequency response tailored to bass instruments and is designed for use with bass amps, bass drums and other low players like tubas and trombones." "Bass players should take a close look at the D550...if they want to squeeze the most out of their live tone."

I have miked my cabs in the past, but have heard that it's more important that a guitarist mic theirs. When I only had my Peavey 1x15, I placed the microphone so that it was right between the outer edge of the speaker and the port. When I miked my 6x10, I placed the microphone at the bottom of the cab, between the two bottom speakers (hoping to not only pick up the bottom two speakers, but also the horn that was just above them and also the 1x15 that was just below them). Lately, I have just been running a line out of the line out section of my FireBass.

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I've heard of the string-micing method. I tried miking my strings when recording once, and the extra string noise it picked up gave the bass a little extra "life", making it sound more acoustic as you blend more of that sound in your signal. Kind of cool, but my PC hums so high it bleeds real bad into the mic, which is why I don't do it on a regular basis.