1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Milano bass question from noob

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by bassybass, Aug 2, 2008.

1. bassybass

bassybass Guest

Mar 29, 2008
    I'm starting to look into trying upright (solely a BG player now).
    I was checking out these Milano basses on this site:

http://www.gotofmi.com/cremsb112siz.html

The price is right on these, that's for sure---If I can get in for around 600 bucks like that I'll feel a lot less stressed out about the "experiment":)---wondering if it makes sense to get something like this, or hunt down something better used (considering I have no idea what to look for in an UB).
    Also, is 3/4 the most common size? I see 1/2 and 1/4 on that site too.
    How different do they sound, and does it make any sense to get a smaller bass for starters? I'm an adult, about 5'9".

2. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    Do a search for "CCB" on the forum and you'll get plenty of info and warnings about those. This has been covered many times. Most of the CCBs have "Italian" sounding names.

I'd suggest looking for a decent used bass instead. CCBs are not worth the heartache no matter how cheap they are at first. They are not well made, come apart easily, and don't sound good.

Some good starter bass "brands" are: Shen, Christopher, Engelhardt, Strunal, and Eastman.

Not all Chinese basses are crap, (Shen, Christopher & Eastman are Chinese made). Strunal is Czech made, and Engelhardts are USA made. There are other good ones too, do some looking around and play some basses at shops if you can. Any brand new bass will need a setup to make it playable (string height lowered, etc.) and better strings put on. The "shipping strings" on most new basses are like bailing wire.

Oh, and yes, 3/4 is the standard most commonly played size. One last thing, check out www.bassesonline.com - they are liquidating a whole warehouse full of nice German & Czech basses for incredible prices. The Eberle laminate would be a great choice and they do a setup for you, so the basses are playable when you get them.

Hope this is helpful, be sure to read the newbie links here also.

Getting a good bass will mean you will be more likely to stick with it. The double bass may be one of the most challenging instruments to learn, but it's also the most rewarding.

3. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Oh no it's not!!! That's for all the reasons Gearhead mentioned and more. The price sure isn't right when you're basically tossing your $$$ in the trash.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021