1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mild OD to Add Grit

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mikef09, Oct 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. mikef09

mikef09

Sep 3, 2013
    PA
    This is probably a huge topic around here, but I'm just in need of a simple OD that won't really color my clean sound at all. Looking for something similar to sleepmakeswaves, Circa Survive, Thrice, Geezer Butler type sound, so both vintage and modern. I've tried a few Darkglass pedals and preamps (B7K & Alpha Omega) and they color the sound too much so I'd like to avoid them (even though they do sound amazing, just not what I'm looking for). But maybe a Vintage Microtubes would work?

I'm running a P-Bass with EMG GZR, Orange Terror Bass 500, and Epifani 610. What recommendations does TB have?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  2. I have a P and the same amp... the Vintage is a good fit although I prefer the slightly brighter and more aggressive Pike Vulcan when paired with the dark sounding Terror Bass. The BB Preamp and Bearfoot Blueberry are a good match up as well.

The Creation Audio Grizzly gets a lot of love around here for a transparent od too!

Grahams Groove and mikef09 like this.
  3. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    The Way Huge Pork Loin is a sure bet. Modded it's even better! Or the Damnation Audio MBD1 is glorious as is the Dunwich ODB. All 3 of these will get you where you want to be,

mikef09 likes this.
  4. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    You can also try the Smallsound/Bigsound Mini. It's great for that.

blindrabbit, gregmon79 and mikef09 like this.
  5. mikef09

mikef09

Sep 3, 2013
    PA
    I was actually looking into these too, how well does it retain your clean sound?

Nunovsky likes this.
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Creation Audio Grizzly is what you seek. Just going from what you describe it nails that tone perfectly on the overdrive side. Add some of the distortion side if you want more gank. Add to that the built in low pass filter, Funkulator mid scoop, and internal 36v voltage boost and you have your winner!

velalv, Buzz E, back4more and 2 others like this.
  7. mikef09

mikef09

Sep 3, 2013
    PA
    Think I am going to go with this. You can seriously get OD to Fuzzy Synthy Muse type fuzz. I like!

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Yeah the Grizzly is a fantastic pedal that replaced many, many that came before it for me.

mikef09 likes this.
  9. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    If you set the gain knob between 9 and 11 and play around with your dynamics it can clean up your tone and then add some grit when you strike harder while being quite transparent. It can get into fuzz territory at high gain settings and with the bias knob you get a really great gated drive that sounds super brassy and works great for synthy sounds.

blindrabbit and mikef09 like this.
  10. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Fairfield Barbershop

11. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTq69rL5fo6OtCcdvIWR5V-cKqb6fWUJFfudMEpbXfv4qhWd8QkrQ.
    my 2 centavos I use a Mosky Xp ot EHX Hot Tubes for a Bit-O-Honey grit

vivaknoxvegas and mikef09 like this.
  12. mrwood4

mrwood4 Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Southern Illinois
    Broughton Terraformer OD.

NKBassman, Mugwump and blindrabbit like this.
  13. I feel like your head could do this? I'd use a DOD BiFet boost for this sort of thing.

mikef09 likes this.
  14. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    I use a VT Bass DI.

I have used the following (they are now gone)
    Aggie Agro
    Darkglass VMT
    Darkglass BK3
    Tech 21 Oxford (narrowly lost to my VT at the time)
    Way huge pork loin (this was a sweet pedal and I may try to reacquire one in the future)
    Way huge green rhino
    Boss DS-1 penny mod
    Some kind of cross over that i lost my shirt on when flipping...can't remember the name so that should tell you the impression it left...;)
    VT gen 1 and 2

i have had 3 VT bass pedals, gen 1, 2 and now the DI (i call it gen 3).

It (gen 3) my favorite and provides all my dirt needs and has the DI needs for me to interact with our PA board.

The most expensive lesson I had to learn is that my solo (aka bedroom) sound was nothing like my mix sound. The VT Bass DI and some EQ tweaking solves my mix sound. My solo (bedroom/practice) sound doesn't matter to me anymore.

Good Luck!

birminghambass and mikef09 like this.
  15. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    Moog drive
    Low settings it's a clean boost to mild od

mikef09 likes this.
  16. late80s

late80s Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2014
    NJ
    DOD Overdrive preamp 250, simple and affordable

gregmon79, ONYX, mikef09 and 2 others like this.
  17. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove Let's make a deal... Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    Another vote for the CAL Grizzly. Fantastic for what you're describing. Also has a small foot print, versatile capabilities if you want to go beyond the grit, and it looks sweet - if that matters to you.

mikef09 and velalv like this.
  18. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I'll say it again...

Barbershop.

19. Fairfield Barbershop

And don't laugh..

Joyo American sound

20. SonnyBassPlayer

SonnyBassPlayer

Nov 29, 2013
    Italy
    Fairfield Circuitry Barbershop. Steady on my board sinche the day I bought it. One year and a half ago

mikef09 and Stevorebob like this.