1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mild Pre-amps?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DWBass, Sep 13, 2008.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Here's the deal..............

I'm most likely going to buy a USA Fender Jazz 5 (passive). I'm looking to add a pre-amp to it but I want something that will give a subtle boost/cut as opposed to the many pres that give such a huge boost especially in the bass and treble depts. Is there anything out there that fits my description? I also want it to be 9v only.

2. Here is about the mildest one I can think of: Nordstrand 3 Band Preamp rated @ +/- 12 db for bass, mid, & treble and +/- 10db overall gain via the trim pot. You should be able to keep the gain from overdriving your amp.

I didn't see it on the Nordstrand site, it sure looks nice to me. With the OP-amps in sockets and the capacitor is interchangable on the mids. It seems it quite a player friendly pre-amp.

Most everything out there is +/- 15 - 20 db per frequency. Just look for ones with adjustable output. That does rule allot of them out. But I think most of the East pre amps have it. There must be others. Look for sound clips on the East equipment. They are a love / hate thing. Like tube amps or mosfet amps are for some people. Personally I like the East sound.