Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mileage May Vary

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by stefeb, Jul 19, 2002.

1. stefeb

stefeb

Jun 9, 2002
    Bethlehem, PA
    When did you become a player, instead of a practicer?

I realize we never stop learning in music, but at what point (how many years, months, etc.), did you stop lessons, and begin playing?

2. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    I know I'm not old enough to have my statements be justified by what you're discussing, but personally, why not be a player and continue taking lessons? It doesn't hurt to keep on improving and spreading your playing diversity and styles, even if you're playing gigs.

3. stefeb

stefeb

Jun 9, 2002
    Bethlehem, PA
    Agreed, but there must have point a point in time when you knew you were ready to play, even though you may still continue with lessons.

I realize we never really stop practicing, honing our skiils, but there comes a time when we play more than we practice.

I've played keyboards for over forty years, and I play now, but I don't practice in the sense of lessons, etc. That's the type of thing I'm talking about.

4. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Sure, I have had many of those times happen to me. Just when I think I am ready to play, I go play with this band I play at, and end up at the end of the practice realizing I have so much more to learn and practice. And the cycle continues just like that. That's how I, and for the most part a lot of people, progress in skill and attaining confidence.