1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Miles Ahead Trailer

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 48thStreetCustom, Feb 4, 2016.

1. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    I was skeptical when I clicked on it, but it looks great. Don Cheadle co-wrote and directed it. I don't know if the story is true, but he said that he wanted to make a different kind of biopic. He didn't want to make a birth to grave movie.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    Tom Bomb, Atshen, Bob_Ross and 3 others like this.
  2. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Can't wait to see this! :hyper:

3. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Looks cool and I'll definitely go to see it.....being a Miles Davis fan and all.

But when it comes to these bios (especially when the subject is deceased), it makes you wonder how much of the "action" is based in truth.

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I was sold at Don Cheadle, the trailer makes it look even better!

twocargar, 47th Street, GregC and 2 others like this.
  5. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    I hear ya. I think this movie might be even less so. More about the legend than the person. But hey, I think the best thing is that young people who normally wouldn't be exposed to his music might be inspired to check it out just because he seemed cool in the movie.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    ONYX likes this.
  6. peledog

peledog

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Can't wait!

7. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Oooh, Cheadle as Miles? Sign me up!

47th Street likes this.
  8. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    DYING to see this!

P.S. There's also a video on YT of a press conference about the movie that is well worth watching. Cheadle is brilliant.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
    47th Street likes this.
  9. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Now on my gotta see list.

10. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Yes, yes, and yes! It's about time, but is it too much to ask for a Coltrane? Also coming up, but I don't have my hopes up for it, is this...

11. RHFusillo

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    If memory serves me, Spike Lee's Mo' Better Blues was originally supposed to be a movie about Coltrane, called A Love Supreme. But, obviously, it turned out not to be.

12. RHFusillo

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    So has anybody else seen it? Here's a link to a perceptive review in The Atlantic: Birth of the Uncool: Why 'Miles Ahead' Succeeds

Perhaps I should warn that there may be some spoilers here, depending on what you consider a spoiler. Anybody who reads this knows the basics, right? Miles Davis went into retirement for about 5 years starting in 1976. He was a cocaine-addled mess. He eventually revived his career and had great commercial success until his death in 1991.

First off, I think that Cheadle was brilliant. He had Miles down -- the look, the voice, the whole thing. The movie is decidedly non-chronological. There are many flashbacks and flashbacks-within-flashbacks. As the review says, "It achieves [a fast-paced plot] in part with a gonzo, fictionalized storyline involving a stolen reel of tape, high-speed car chases, and gunplay." The central plot of the movie is pure fiction, centering around a writer who is trying to get an interview with Miles, a young trumpet player who is Columbia's next big thing, a gangsterish manager, and a tape of a 1978 recording session that gets stolen and re-stolen. This fiction bothered me somewhat, but the following is true:
    • There was a real writer who ingratiated himself into Miles's life during his retirement. In his book, 'Round About Midnight: A Portrait of Miles Davis, Eric Nisenson describes the abuse he took from Miles, including being expected to score cocaine for him.
    • There was really a 1978 recording session that ended up going nowhere. A keyboard player with whom I had previously played was on the session. T.M. Stevens played bass. The session was mentioned in Downbeat and has appeared in various sessionographies, but (to my knowledge) has never been released.
    • Columbia Records kept trying to find a trumpet player to put on Miles's pedestal during his retirement -- first was the great Woody Shaw and then the vociferous Wynton Marsalis. (Neither of them really corresponds to the junkie trumpet player in the movie.)
    • From everything I have read and heard from people who had contact with him, Miles's life was extremely chaotic, especially before and during his retirement. So while nobody was actually trying to shoot him over a reel-to-reel tape, he did get shot in 1969 and was engaged in other kinds of craziness during his dark period.
    The flashbacks to the 50s and 60s were wonderful, and I liked the last scene, a fiction-meets-reality concert scene with Cheadle-as-Miles fronting a band including Robert Glasper, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Gary Clark, Jr. and Esperanza Spalding. (Anybody know who the drummer was in that scene? I commented to my wife that Miles often hired white sidemen, but very rarely used a white drummer.)

Tom Bomb and BadJazz like this.
  13. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    I still haven't gotten around to seeing this. I should have time this weekend, hopefully. I've read Miles autobiography more than once, so hopefully it will remain true to that. Hearing you say there are fictional elements to the movie has me thinking I may not appreciate it. I saw the James Brown movie when it came out a couple years ago and though it was excellent. I don't know how true it was to reality though, because I've never read any books about James Brown. I also thought Ray with Jamie Foxx was very good, but again, I wasn't familiar with the back story there either.

14. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown

Feb 16, 2011
    They should have used Hank III.

GregC likes this.
  15. HeavyJazz

HeavyJazz Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Virginia
    This may be a "Lord of the Rings versus the book" sort of thing. Love the books, but struggle hanging in there with all of the over the top Hollywood boom. As a lifelong Miles Davis fan I'm sure I would be wanting too much from this film. Got to stay realistic... ha.