1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Miles angry at Herbie H.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor [DB]' started by Don Kasper, Apr 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

OUCH!

2. Check out Miles as he walks by Wayne, around the 3:50 mark. That doesn’t look like a super friendly interaction to me.

3. I’ll also say that the trumpet solo on Milestones is one of my all time favorite Miles solos. So powerful and able to go from a scream to a whisper in a moments time. And the rhythm section right on him, especially Chick

4. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

Yes! It looks like maybe Miles is giving Wayne some s*** about the shirt Wayne is wearing?
    Seriously - overall, a great example of the irritating Grain of Sand that results in a beautiful Pearl.
    Thanks.

5. JRA

JRA what key? Supporting Member

he was an angry cat.

6. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    Hastings, UK
    he looks annoyed the whole way through the solo, like he wants something from Wayne or the rhythm section he isn't getting. Sounds perfect though!

7. Rompin Roddy

Rompin Roddy

Jun 29, 2016
    Tacony
    Lol it happened right after Herbie started comping. If I'm not mistaken I think Miles wasn't a fan of comping during his solos.

8. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    Well, apparently Coltrane (a very laid-back guy) when asked about one or another incident with Miles, said "Well, Miles can be sort of a [word like "jerk" but worse]".

I think Miles had a lot of issues and a lot of them came out in anger.

That is really neither here nor there in our enjoyment of his music.

9. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    Musicians that actually knew him said he’d give you the shirt off his back.

When Dave Holland was in the hospital recovering from surgery, he woke up to find a sweater laid over him. It belonged to Miles. Dave had mentioned to him once that he thought it was a beautiful sweater.

I’m sure it’s got to be more complicated than that ‘he was an angry dude’ and such. How can an angry dude play with such grace, beauty and majesty?

10. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    I'm sure it is more complicated than that. But by most accounts, he was generally not the most pleasant person to be around. A lot of wonderful music has been made by musicians with seriously flawed personalities--Charlie Parker, Beethoven, etc.

hrodbert696 likes this.
  11. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

Read his biography and get back to us. Miles was a jazz genius, a trumpet wannabe, a pimp, a drug pusher, a thief, a drug addict, a peacock on stage and probably mostly addicted with a habit that called his moves...
    At the end of the day, I'd have to say Miles single-handedly pushed jazz forward but if he were my neighbor, I'd consider him the worst of the worst and literally call the cops.

12. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman

Jan 1, 2010
    Sound guys, and what they put through the monitors, will make you look that way too. Frequently.

matthewbrown and Cheez like this.
  13. Sorry Tom, calling Miles a trumpet wannabe is total bulls#@t

petrus61, lrhbass, Clipped and 8 others like this.
  14. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman

Jan 1, 2010
    lololol

Yeah, I love Wayne, but he does have that “Junior High School Assistant Principal” look going on in that clip!

lurk and Don Kasper like this.
  15. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

Ya think so? How many octaves? How's he compare to Maynard Ferguson? I COMPLETLY stand by that assessment; Miles was a musical genius, brilliant composer, band leader, arranger, and pretty good producer... as a trumpmet player... he was worse than middle of the pack. Chet Baker ran rings around him when he was high!
    Don't agree... cool, give us proof.

16. lurk

lurk

Dec 2, 2009
    Oy yoy yoy. We're judging trumpet players by how many octaves they've got now? Kidding, right?

17. Proof? No, I’m not going to waste another second of my time providing “proof” to rebut that silliness. That’s your opinion and you’re welcome to it, it was my mistake even getting involved. Goodbye

18. Double post

19. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    Who was it that said they'd rather listen to Miles reach for a high note and fluff it, than listen to Wynton make a 1,000?
    Something about the drama of it. Chet Baker had that, too, but in a different way.

I want to be moved. Miles did that. Chet did that. The great players can do that.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  20. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    Well, Lester Young was a tenor sax wannabe because he couldn't play Coltrane substitutions at MM = 350.

Jack Teagarden was a trombone wannabe because he couldn't play Carl Fontana showers of arpeggios.

Errol Garner was a piano wannabe because he didn't read music.

Louis Armstrong was a trumpet wannabe because he never played a tritone substitution.

Django Reinhardt was a guitar wannabe because he couldn't play four note chords with his left hand.

Speaking of Chet Baker, he was clearly a singer wannabe because he didn't have the range of Pavarotti.

yodedude2, salcott, lurk and 2 others like this.