Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

miles/dave holland

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by JAS, Jan 14, 2002.

1. JAS

JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    California
    Has everyone checked out the miles davis "Live at Filmore" cd with dave holland, chick, jack, wayne, and airto? it is really amazing. dave holland sounds great on the fender too. it is really interesting to hear this group-especially with wayne shorter still in the group. as someone else here said about the "in a silent way" 3 cd box set - these guys really were at the hight of their creativity!! and certainly one of the peaks of creativity in the last 100 years.

2. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have been listening to that recording (March 1970), as well as some bootlegs from July and November of 1969. It's remarkable how their approach evolved in a very short amount of time. They gradually played less of the older repertoire and more of the then-new material. And they simultaneously played more rock/funk and more freely.

I like the way the sets were arranged as medleys, with miles cueing the next piece by playing a "coded phrase" (not my term).

Apparently, Holland did not start playing electric bass on stage until early 1970. I find it interesting how his approach changed very little when he did change -- it's rare to hear a Fender Precision bass played that way.

3. JAS

JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    California
    yeh, he has an interesting approach, it sounds pretty great though.