1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Miles Davis and funk

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bassist15, Mar 22, 2006.

1. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    Does miles play much funk , Ive heard sum songs were he is pretty funky . REccomment me sum cds please

2. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Get thee a copy of 'Agharta' immedately! It's sister album, 'Pangaea', is also worth having.

Also worth checking out from the "funk" period (72-75) are:
    'On The Corner'
    'Get Up With It'
    'Dark Magus'

There is a Bill Laswell-produced album, 'Panthalassa', that mixes material from '69 to '75. Might be a good introduction. I find it better than much of 'On The Corner' and 'Get Up With It'.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

The funkiest stuff I've heard under Miles' name is on the Isle of Wight DVD!! :)

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    +1 for On The Corner!

5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

The time when Miles had both Kenny Garret and Marcus Miller by his side.

Don't forget Tutu.

6. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    Live-Evil and better still The Complete Cellar Door Sessions has a lot of funk...though it's a dark and twisted kinda funk!

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Tutu never impressed me as a 'Miles-Funk' recording...too composed, not enough spontaneity, etc.

Miles/Marcus-Funk, to me, is more along the lines of Star People or We Want Miles.

There's also the Daryll Jones stuff: Decoy, You're Under Arrest, etc...the odd good Funk track sprinkled among some not-so-good tracks, IMO.

8. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    +1 for Agharta and Pangaea -- some of the deepest funk I've ever heard (IMNSHO).

Also +1 for Panthalassa -- the On the Corner material sounds better in Bill Laswell's remix -- I wish he would remix the whole album.

9. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I would go with those choices for some of his best "funk"... that (We want miles) album would be a great intro into jazz if you're just trying to get into it. Lots of sreaming guitar solos and seriously heavy boogalo funk...and WICKED percussion...along with some great straight ahead stuff. I really think it's got Marcus' best playing on there.
    Both those albums will keep you awake for days.

10. who were the other bassists on the funk records besides marcus miller and daryl jones?

11. Michael Henderson played a lot of the 70s funk stuff.

12. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Thom Barney is another one. He played a few tracks on Star People I think.

Mark....Just buy The Man With The Horn, We Want Miles, Star People. Those three albums have the best funk Miles ever recorded. And I'ver heard all his stuff (well...almost). I think anything recorded after that is either too commercialized or mechanized to be considered "funk".

...I mean "Time After Time"?

13. sounds good, thanks for the help guys

14. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Great ones mentioned so far! I highly recommend the Isle of Wight DVD. Dave Holland, more known for his DB work, plays electric along with Chick Corea, Keith Jarrett and Jack DeJohnette on that one and it kicks major booty.

Also:
    A Tribute to Jack Johnson
    Aura
    Bitches Brew - specifically Disc 4 of The Complete Bitches Brew Sessions. It changed my life! (Dave Holland and Ron Carter)
    Filles De Kilimanjaro
    In A Silent Way
    It's About That Time...
    Live Evil

15. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    to me Holland doesn't cut it on "funk" I think Miles felt the same way, as he brought in Mr. Henderson.

Holland is my fave DB, but he never really got the funk.

Harvey Brooks is actually the "funk" bass on much of Bitches Brew.

16. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    Oh, and I forgot Benny Reitveld! He was the next to last bassist with Miles, and has been with Santana for years. He rules on the double DVD I have, Miles actually gives him a special spotlight feature.

Felton Crews is the other Miles bass player, very funky also.

I am forgetting the name of the guy at the end, but he was a monster also.

17. +1 for Pangaea and Bitches Brew.

18. +1 for On The Corner and Bitches Brew

19. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    I agree as to Holland not suiting the later funk of Miles, though I think he fit in beautifully with the 'free/funk' phase of the lost quintet. But in fairness, Holland was the one to leave even though Miles asked him to stay.

Tom Barney is another one - he's on 'Star People'.

20. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    Ricky Patterson, I think? Was the guy at the end... a monster...... Barney was at the beginning of the second phase......yes, correct

http://www.miles-beyond.com/sessionspost80.htm

This is the site for Miles electric period - by the author of the book Miles Beyond. What you are seeing are new entries, the book has the complete list.