Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

miles davis bassline...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by sethdavidson, Mar 11, 2002.

1. sethdavidson

sethdavidson

Mar 11, 2002
    Hi, my name is seth, and I'm new to talkbass. I was wondering if anyone had the bassline to the first few choruses(spelling? I dunno) "straight, no chaser" transcribed that could help me out with it. I'm in sortof a pinch as to learning it fast here, and it would take me like a week to transcibe it with my poor ears. if somebody could help me out I'd really, really appreciate it.

Seth

2. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I don't know why I'm answering this... but here it goes.

1. Which version?!? Without even looking at my Miles section of the CD collection, I'd guess that there are probably over 10 released versions of Miles performing this song.

2. It's just walking changes. You don't learn a jazz tune by memorizing the bassline of another player. Learning/transcribing a bassline by a great player is a very good thing to do when building your own skills... but just memorizing or TaBiNg out a line to perform it note for note is just uncalled for.

If you really want to learn how to play "Straight No Chaser" (or any jazz tune for that matter), I would highly suggest finding a good teacher, finding instructional books, and/or utilizing online resources that will teach you to walk changes.

3. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I am actually in the process of transcribing some miles Davis tunes.. I wish I could help you out, but i'm also in a pinch to get it done.. the best thing I can suggest is just to keep listening to the piece section by section over and over while you have your bass in hand... Sometimes Miles Davis bass lines can be hard to transcribe because either 1) you can't really hear the bass line or 2) if you play primarily on electric bass like i do, the bassists for Miles pretty much play on upright and if you try to follow those basslines exactly, you will run into sounds and tones that are kind of "in between pitches"... thats really not a big deal though... just being able to hear the bassline is the biggest problem i've had... but I just turn up the bass

4. How self righteous r u?
    He just wants to learn the song in a hurry for what ever reason and alredy said it would take too long for him to transcribe it.

I don't know the song and can't help him but posts like these are kinda wasting this guys time.

5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    He's not being self-righteous, he's telling it the way it is. That just isn't how jazz is done. You just can't say, tell me the bassline for "Straight, No Chaser."

Now, if the original poster asked, can anybody transcribe the first two choruses of Miles Davis' version on *a specific recording*, that could be done, if somebody had that record. But there *is* no set bassline for that tune. That's just jazz, man.

6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Yep, but *tons* of people have covered it. Couldn't say for sure if Miles ever did, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have "MileStones" by Mile Davis - with Paul Chambers on DB and the last track on my CD is "Straight no Chaser" - I don't have the chord chart, but it sounds to me like a straightforward 12-bar blues - at least on the "blowing".

So as beermonkey pointed out, PC is just improvising quite freely throughout in his inimitable style - I think that as people have said while a transcription would be a useful exercise - if you were actually playing the song, then it's just a case of making up your own walking line for each chorus - should be fairly easy anyway!!

There is quite a nice bass solo - which may merit transcribing for ideas, but I can't imagine that anybody would want to play it back verbatim!

8. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I think Kickemout has a point about self righteousness. Even though what beermonkey said was "true", it was only negatively focused on the idea that Kickemout was going about it the wrong way. All you had to say to him was that he would do a lot better trying to find out the *chord changes* rather than the exact notes and he would be in better shape than learning it verbatim. Instead you just mentioned a bunch of things which, while helpful in the long run, would not help him in a tight time frame.

That said, you need the chords. I think Bruce has come the closest of anyone to telling you what they are - I would give it a shot, except my copy of Milestones has been pilfered by an erstwhile musician type. Sounds like you could probably figure them out farily rapidly though. Got a piano?

9. Bruce Lindfield

I don't see that at all - I think we are quite entitled to ask "why?" somebody wants the information requested - far better to clarify the question rather than just waste time providing something that is in fact unnecessary.

I see the rudeness here in kickem's assumption about somebody else's motives - I think beermonkey asked the obvious questions, but in a manner likely to get the right answer.
    I also agree with him that you feel like you're wasting your time anyway as the original poster almost always never comes back to comment or offer thanks......

10. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I think some people are confused. HARLEYDAVIDSON was the one who asked the question, and STICKYMOUTH was the one griping about self-righteousness. I don't see any self-righteousness at all, except for STICKYMOUTH's assertion that answers like the ones being provided in this thread are a waste of the poster's time. BEERCHEESE's answer was right on the money - if someone posts on a machinists forum and asks "what are the best materials to use to build a perpetual motion machine", it isn't "self righteous" to say that even though many great minds have tried, no one has ever been able to successfully build such a machine. Rather, such a statement is informative. In my opinion, it's better for the person asking the question to get the unvarnished truth than a sugar-coated lie.

All this whining about how "mean" people are around here is really getting old....:rolleyes:

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    KUNGFUQUA'D...

12. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    :confused:

but no one said nuttin about bein mean, suh. someday i will ask you about building the perpetual motion machine, or jazz for that matter. right now i think we're just trying to get seth through a set without loking bad, right?

13. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Do I have to close the thread?

Chris A.:rolleyes:

14. Bruce Lindfield

Welll...the point is that we don't know that - it's just an assumption you are making from the original post. It could be that he has an assignment to hand in for a class the next day, which he wants us to do for him - it could be a bet he has with someone - it could be any number of things - we just don't know!

If it was actually about trying to get through a set - then trying to play a Paul Chambers line transcribed verbatim, without listening to what everybody else is doing, would probably be a good recipe for making him look bad!

15. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    right that's why i said he needed the chords.

Again, I don't have the tune handy, so I don't know what key it is in, but a pretty 'standard' set of changes for a 12 bar blues in F might go like this:

F | Bb | F | F7 | Bb | Bb7 | F | Dm7 |G7 |C7 | F Dm7 | G7 C7 | F |

The pipes are bars. you can probably transpose that into the right key and then adjust it to the actual changes PC might be playing.

I would also like to note that a "standard" blues in Jazz is a lot different than one in blues (in my experience). What you see above is merely a starting point, but there's alot more/different chords that are thrown in as subs or transitions, so again, this is merely a starting point.

16. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    lol.. "beercheese". That's comedy.

No doubt man. The truth hurts sometimes, deal with it.

-Brian

17. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

LAGERCHIMP,

Thanks. That's why they pay me the big bucks. :)