1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Miles Davis "On The Corner Sessions" Box set coming out this fall!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Blackbird, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    While snooping around the net I found out this little tidbit. A box set of the On The Corner sessions should be interesting. It's from his 1972-75 period. Release date's scheduled for 09/18.

I'm ashamed to admit I've never heard the album, though, Does anyone have an opinion on the album?

More info here.

2. Lo.

Lo.

Jan 29, 2005
    NW UK
    Thanks for the info - I'll have to look out for that!

I really envy you. You get to hear it for the first time only once, so get a comfy chair, some good cans, and brace yourself, because it's awesome.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Yes! Ignorance finally pays off! :D

According to the info I got, some of the material includes some previously released stuff from that period which never made it on CD until now. It should be a treat.

Suggested sticker price is to the tune of $120. Waiting a bit might be a good idea...

4. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    That is excellent news.

On the Corner
    is my favorite Miles album. That is saying a lot because I love every one of the thirty-something miles albums I’ve listened to.

On the Corner was way ahead of its time. To me, it laid much of the foundation of pop music adapting techniques of Electroacoustic music, largely due to Pierre Schaeffer's heavy influence on producer Teo Macero. If there is one album deserving to be released as 'complete sessions' - On the Corner is it. The way it was pieced together by Teo Macero and Miles is nothing short of amazing. The complete sessions should give great insight and detail in the production of the album. I can’t wait.

There might be a lot of people that still dislike On The Corner, but I think it remains to be one of the most underrated albums ever made and Miles's funkiest project.

5. that is a great album. i listen to it at work all the time. that one is just FUNKY!

6. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I might have to check the record out, but it's not high on my "to listen" list for Miles, because I have heard it is very similar to Herbie Hancock's "Headhunters" record, which I didn't think was that great.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

How bizarre - HeadHunters is one of my favourite records of all time and is one of the very few Jazz records that everybody seems to like when you play it to them! :eyebrow:

8. jazzbasser535

jazzbasser535

Feb 25, 2006
    "On the Corner" is said by many to be a lot like "Headhunters" but I personally don't hear the similarities.

9. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    On the Corner and Headhunters are two different beasts. Both are heavily influenced by funk, which is probably where the bulk of the similarities stem. If jazz fusion in the 70s had a goal of bridging jazz with popular music and reaching non-jazz audiences, Headhunters would be the most successful attempt. With On the Corner, Miles was heavily influenced by Sly, but in addition, On the Corner was heavily influenced by contemporary 'art' music - be it Buckmaster, repetitive groove music/'minimalism', and a musique concrete approach to Teo Macero's technologically innovative production.

10. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Yes, I do believe the literature with the CD you can buy in the shops today quotes it as being the biggest selling Jazz record of all time. Still a record that I really don't dig, which is odd as I listen to more jazz/fusion than anything else!

11. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    I am a huge fan of Miles's '70s electric stuff. However, if you haven't heard On the Corner, I think it might make sense to pick up the regular album and experience it as a complete album. A lot of the material from the forthcoming box set appeared on other albums like Get Up With It, which is great for completists but not necessarily his best or most accessible work. (Actually, I personally much prefer the material from side B of the original record (starting with "Black Satin") than the stuff from side A, but that's just my opinion.)

12. i really dig 'on the corner.' so funky. very very worth getting for sure. that box set sounds awesome. let us know how it is.

13. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    When it came out, On The Corner and the albums that followed until Miles retired were panned and ridiculed as a bunch of noise.

At the time I wasn't too crazy about them either. They were very dense and the "songs" were almost unrecognizable...it was like one endless groove.

Over time they started to grow on me and 35 years later they sound totally contemporary. Some people have built entire careers on that sound (please stand up, Bill Laswell).

Miles wrote in his autobiography that once he was dead Columbia (now Sony) would start releasing material that they had sat on. He was right about that for sure :rolleyes:

14. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Given the price though, it will definitely be a "collectors item"!