Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Miles Davis sheet music

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Spearhead, Oct 16, 2002.

1. I was wondering where any of you guys might know of a place online that has free Bitches Brew sheet music. I have a feeling due to the nature of the music that their might not be any published written music, but im hoping to find something. The way the music is arranged on that album is more and more impressive every time I hear it. Im having a desperate time trying to keep up with the melody on "spanish key." Miles Davis was truly ahead of his time.

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Good luck.

Bitches Brew(note: "Brew" is a VERB) is about collective "free" improvising...add that to the many, many splices & edits by then-Miles producer Teo Macero & you have a brew("brew" as a noun) that's bitchin'.
    ;)

Would someone actually take the time to notate all of that out? I dunno...

Do you have the "Complete" Bitches Brew box/sessions?
    I agree Miles was the S***.
    A lot of BB, though, is Joe Zawinul.

3. Yeah I have the complete sessions. I kinda expected that there wouldnt really be any notation. It just boggles my mind how that music was composed because its so intricate and the lines are like nothing Ive heard before.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The stories are that it wasn't composed as such and Miles would just say obscure things, hints about what he wanted - according to John McLaughlin anyway?

I think I read an interview with Dave Holland as well where he said that Miles basically told him nothing and just wanted him to play!!

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Sounds a lot like the rumors involving KOB's inception, which turned out to be false. You never know, BB could definitely have lent itself to such a spontaneous format.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yeah - but I don't think Dave Holland and John McLaughlin have any reason to lie or exaggerate - they've had pretty good careers without playing up the "mystique" of Miles?