Military Bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Hungry Soul, Jun 5, 2002.

1. I know this can be a touchy subject for some tax payers, but without starting any flame wars I would like to know about military TB'ers who play bass in their position.
    How was the auditions? What is expected of you and how you rate it. I know there are at least two or three of you and this is a point of interest for me. Please feel free to elaborate because I really am considering this.
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Pacman and Lump are the guys you want.
  3. they have bands in the army ? woah !

i thought they only had soldiers and corrupt generals in there..
  4. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Which Army are you talking about? Who's generals?
    We don't want to make any ASSUMPTIONS here now, do we?:rolleyes:
  5. Whenever I hear a story about military base closings, I instantly think bass. And I say to myself, "Enough with these bass closings! Why can't they close some damn guitars for a change?!?" :D :rolleyes:
  6. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Not me (hey look, BW, we're talking ;) ).

I'm in the Air Force and play bass; Jon plays bass for the Air Force. Big difference. He's a pro; I'm a poser. :)

But he still gets paid the same as the guy who empties the crapper on a C-5. ;) :D
  7. Me too! But Big wheel forgot about me.

LOL, those guys have the crappiest ;) job in the Air Force, I know, I see them every day. How miserable they are.
  8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    And I've done my share of 'crapper duty in my time', too! :D

I've got a unique perspective, having been in the U.S. Army as a bassist and now in the U.S. Air Force.

How were the auditions? Well, obviously different. The Army's was harder in that I never played with anyone. Just me and a bass. Additionally, I saw some much harder material in that audition. However, it was easier to pass - meaning the quality of musicianship in the Army is much lower than in the Air Force. The Air Force audition, while being very real world - play with a rhythm section, play with a big band, etc - was much tougher to pass. After being a professional for 15 years, I almost didn't get the gig.

What was expected of me, or what is? I was expected to display near complete knowledge of my instrument, bottom to top. I was expected to display first rate sight reading skills (serious stuff, here), solid time, great feel and have extensive knowledge of styles. I am expected to not only maintain these skills, I'm expected to improve them. I'm also in a unique postion in the AF, in that bassists in the AF are supposed to be proficient on electric and upright (classical as well as jazz). I passed my audition on the strength of my electric playing and am now in the process of learning string bass. Very difficult, but I'm getting there.

The military is not for everyone, to say the least. But it's been a great gig for me. I play every day, with top drawer musicians. I get time to freelance in the civilian sector (if I want to, because I get paid enough after so long that I don't "have" to), my band will buy my instruments and gear for use at work. (I don't have a bass bought by uncle sam, but my rig at work is an Aguillar DB750 and Bergantino 212 and 310 cabs)

I consider myself extremely lucky to be doing the job I do, and work hard to make sure that my current employer wants me to keep doing it. In short, I LOVE my job!
  9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    We are?:confused:

Maybe we had locked shields, but not swords.:p

All other things being equal, I think Jon has the better gig.

Oh, and ChaosGwar, I did not forget about you. I didn't know you were one too. I would have added neptoon also, but I knew he wasn't playin' for the military.

Question: I know the army has chaplains. Are there rabbis too?
  10. Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    i'm with lump and cg. i'm in the af, but i don't play for the af. maybe we should start an af-bass player thread...

anyway, how are you liking osan, lump?

11. Yuppers, I'm in the AF, stationed rather close to you and Jazzbo, up at Travis.

To answer your question, Yes.

A chaplain isn't neccessarily a priest, they can be priests, rabbis, Christian, Catholic, Protestant, Muslim, Wiccan, Native American Indian, or a member of any of the numerous religions. The most common chaplains are non denominational Christian ministers, and Rabbis.
  12. What army ? US army ofcourse..
    We do not make assumtions; we know, and have proof of various corruptions in the top of the NSA and US military.

but anyway.. what's with bassplaying in the army ?? i've never heard of that..
  13. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Hell yeah. I saw it on HBO too. :rolleyes:
  14. HBO ? 't the funk is that ?
  15. ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    HBO??? Well, dangummit, that's "proof" enough for me!
  16. " Blinded by the promise of green grass, the sheeps followed the sheppherd into dusk.. "

- Izïdriel 12:05 -
  17. All right fellas, lets try to get this back on topic.

Despite your feelings on the military, corrupt or not, this is not the thread to discuss it. If you feel you must discuss it in open forum, do it in off topic, but let's not hijack Hungry Soul's thread. He asked a very honest and simple question. Pacman did a good job of answering it. Let it lie for the love of Bob.
  18. yeah ok, but now i still don't know what playing bass in the military does / means ?
  19. ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Here...back on topic.

And it's not just the U.S. that has them:

Amazing what a simple search on the internet will reveal to the curious.

Having spent 11 years in the Army, I can tell you that I rarely ran into Band members. They seemed to be somewhat separate from the world I delt with. I don't mean that in a bad way. You would see them involved in ceremonial occasions, etc. Once in a while the groups incorporating an electric or upright bass would have a show at the NCO club (which I couldn't attend as an officer), or at Brigade dining-outs or balls. Things like that.
  20. The Army, and Air force, and I'm sure the Navy and Marine Corps have bands. It is a career field all on it's own, IIRC.

Pacman can tell you a lot more about what all they do, but I know they play military events and ceremonies, and have quite a bit of playing time in the surrounding area. The band here at my base plays opening game for the Oakland A's baseball team, amongst a vast array of other "civilian" gigs.

edit: I put ... here at my bass... instead of here at my base... :D