1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Military people, chime in

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jamiebass, Aug 18, 2007.

1. After some thought, I'm joining the Navy. I can't wait.

I should be starting basic training in late winter/early spring. Then I'm off to BC for fleet school for 5-6 weeks, then Labrador for about 2 years for a bachelors degree in electro-mechanical engineering. Then I'm posted on the east or west coast.

http://www.forces.ca/v3/engraph/jobs/jobs.aspx?id=065&bhcp=1
    That's going to be my job.

I'd like to hear some military stories, advice, general stuff. How was basics?

2. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

Well, at least you don't have far to travel to Basic (St-Jean-sur-Richelieu). I was there about 7 year ago doing the basic officer training course.

I think you're referring to the Canadian Forces Naval Engineering School for electro-mechanical engineering. That is a technical diploma and not a Bachelor's degree.

Just remember that a lot of the stuff that happens at basic training is a game. There's important stuff to learn and it will be clear what it is, but for some of the stuff you just suck it up and play the game. Once basic training ends things change a lot, especially the manner in which you're treated.

3. JNowiski

JNowiski

Jan 16, 2006
    Fayetteville/NC
    i'm army, so i can't really tell you much.

4. Work hard. Think. Think about what you're doing and why you're doing it. Maintain your discipline. Be hard. Take initiative.

Keep in mind you're training for a "real world" situation.

5. I am going to St-Jean for basics, I'm doing the 13 weeks there, then fleet school in BC. And yeah, it is a technical diploma, oops.